News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

References required for the Visigothic fleet in Britain

Started by Imperial Dave, July 09, 2020, 07:34:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Imperial Dave

Am having a bit of trouble identifying the reference(s) to the alleged Visigothic fleet landing/shipwrecked on British shores late 5th/early 6th Century. It was always in the WRG lists but cant for the life of me remember where the original reference or mention of it occurred. Any pointers gratefully received!
Slingshot Editor

Jim Webster

Quote from: Holly on July 09, 2020, 07:34:06 PM
Am having a bit of trouble identifying the reference(s) to the alleged Visigothic fleet landing/shipwrecked on British shores late 5th/early 6th Century. It was always in the WRG lists but cant for the life of me remember where the original reference or mention of it occurred. Any pointers gratefully received!

When you made your unwise comment about having all the figures you needed I was going to suggest Visigoths  ;D

But couldn't find the reference  :-[

Now I have the source
Go to your copy of John Morris, The Age of Arthur . It's in volume 1. Roman Britain and the Empire of Arthur
Theodoric gets a fair section to himself, apparently a Visigothic admiral who lost his ports when the Franks kicked the Visigoths out of Gaul, and allied to Arthur
He apparently fought the Irish in Wales

Whilst checking this I came across this book
Britain in the Age of Arthur: A Military History Hardcover – 1 Jun. 2017
by Ilkka Syvanne

Anybody read it?

Imperial Dave

thanks Jim...appreciated.

not come across the other book
Slingshot Editor

Anton

I'm aware of it.  Problem is I cannot face shelling out for another rubbish book about Arthur.  That said Ilkka Syvanne may have produced something wonderful. I'll wait and see.

nikgaukroger

Quote from: Jim Webster on July 09, 2020, 08:49:22 PM

Now I have the source
Go to your copy of John Morris, The Age of Arthur . It's in volume 1. Roman Britain and the Empire of Arthur
Theodoric gets a fair section to himself, apparently a Visigothic admiral who lost his ports when the Franks kicked the Visigoths out of Gaul, and allied to Arthur

Isn't Morris rather discredited these days?
"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

Imperial Dave

yes although if you read him with his 'failings' in mind and are prepared to view the narrative in its entirety you can pick up odds and sods that might be useful
Slingshot Editor

Jim Webster

Quote from: nikgaukroger on July 10, 2020, 06:20:07 AM
Quote from: Jim Webster on July 09, 2020, 08:49:22 PM

Now I have the source

Isn't Morris rather discredited these days?

A masterly understatement

I'd say that he's so discredited that he'll probably be fashionable again in another twenty years time  ;)

Erpingham

It's a shame really because it overshadows what he achieved in saying "this period doesn't have to be so dark - there are other sources and narratives can exist".  Even if in many cases he was wrong, I think he did begin a more complex way of looking at post-Roman Britain.

Imperial Dave

my point as well Anthony. anyway I just wanted to see the Visigothic reference  ;D
Slingshot Editor

Jim Webster

Quote from: Erpingham on July 10, 2020, 10:53:37 AM
It's a shame really because it overshadows what he achieved in saying "this period doesn't have to be so dark - there are other sources and narratives can exist".  Even if in many cases he was wrong, I think he did begin a more complex way of looking at post-Roman Britain.

Yes I think a lot of valuable work has been done by people who were determined to prove him wrong  8)

Actually, when reading a book for review I sometimes thing, "This will probably be shown to be wrong in places, but it has now become the book which is the definitive place to start disagreeing from"

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Jim Webster

Imperial Dave

an unbidden image has now lodged itself in my consciousness......... :-X
Slingshot Editor