News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Weaponry on the Certosa Situla

Started by Duncan Head, July 13, 2020, 09:09:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Imperial Dave

interesting and I missed the discussion first time around. The cloud theory is one that could make sense of the archaeology
Slingshot Editor

Jim Webster

Quote from: Erpingham on July 17, 2020, 12:28:39 PM
Quesada Sanz's "cloud theory" of course was one of the key pieces of the WMWW evidence base.  I recall one of the spinoffs was a discussion of Roman warfare and whether the Romans were "chuck and charge" or "pilum skirmishers" .

Personally I suspect it would depend on what the enemy were doing. If they looked as if they were uncertain, chuck and charge is the tactic of choice. But along a battle line some units (on both sides) might fancy their chances, chuck and charge, and otehrs are doing the skirmishing

Erpingham

Zmodhikov's Roman Republican Heavy Infantrymen in Battle (IV-II Centuries B.C.) also featured.  Not freely available to download but can be read online here  Phil Sabin's Face of Roman Battle was also referenced but this doesn't seem to be freely available.

Imperial Dave

thanks for the link.......no I am not going to collect an early Roman army......
Slingshot Editor

Jim Webster

Quote from: Holly on July 17, 2020, 02:01:35 PM
thanks for the link.......no I am not going to collect an early Roman army......

I happen to have a pdf
I haven't a clue how. But here it is attached if you want it Holly

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Erpingham

Dave, PM me if you need a copy of Sabin.  I won't post here - as it is only available behind a paywall, SoA can't republish it.  But sharing for personal study should be Ok (that's how I got it)

Imperial Dave

Quote from: Erpingham on July 17, 2020, 02:55:53 PM
Dave, PM me if you need a copy of Sabin.  I won't post here - as it is only available behind a paywall, SoA can't republish it.  But sharing for personal study should be Ok (that's how I got it)

:) :) :)
Slingshot Editor

Jim Webster

Quote from: Erpingham on July 17, 2020, 02:55:53 PM

gods alone know where I got my copy from because it's a word document that I was sent in 2005 and I've turned into a pdf

Duncan Head

I think I have the same version. I think it was a draft that the author posted on ancmed - I'm sure he was active there for a while. So maybe not completely the same as the final Historia version, but close enough.
Duncan Head

Jim Webster

Quote from: Duncan Head on July 17, 2020, 04:27:29 PM
I think I have the same version. I think it was a draft that the author posted on ancmed - I'm sure he was active there for a while. So maybe not completely the same as the final Historia version, but close enough.

There are times when I'm surprised at what I find lurking in the corners of my hard drive  ::)

Duncan Head

Quote from: Jim Webster on July 17, 2020, 07:17:49 PM
There are times when I'm surprised at what I find lurking in the corners of my hard drive  ::)

Plenty of times I've come across something on the web, gone to download it, and found I have got it already.  Cheaper than buying duplicate books, of course.
Duncan Head

Imperial Dave

I have a hard drive full of 2,3 or 4 copies of many articles....... :-[
Slingshot Editor

Jim Webster

Quote from: Holly on July 17, 2020, 11:34:38 PM
I have a hard drive full of 2,3 or 4 copies of many articles....... :-[

I resemble that remark

Imperial Dave

at some point I will go through the hard drive and remove the superfluous ones...should free up a bit of space  :)
Slingshot Editor