News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Sassanid Persian Heavy Infantry?

Started by belisiriaus, July 28, 2020, 05:42:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erpingham

This is all interesting stuff.  Do we know how these garrison professionals integrate with the field army? 

DougM

Quote from: Erpingham on September 17, 2020, 08:53:25 AM
This is all interesting stuff.  Do we know how these garrison professionals integrate with the field army?

No, unfortunately. I have speculated, but it is only speculation. Unfortunately, while Farrokh has come up with a few statements, it's not possible to verify them.
"Let the great gods Mithra and Ahura help us, when the swords are loudly clashing, when the nostrils of the horses are a tremble,...  when the strings of the bows are whistling and sending off sharp arrows."  http://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/

Dangun

Quote from: DougM on July 31, 2020, 08:01:05 AM
Firstly, I think you need to be careful with Farrokh. My impression is that he is perhaps as partisan about Persia generally, as Phil is about Julian.

I complete agree about Farrokh. (Although I wasn't aware about the Phil and Julian thing... is that Phil Barker?)

In a more forgiving mood, I might like to think that it reflects the scarcity/ambiguity/quality of Farrokh's sources. But if that's the case, Farrokh has a tendency to overstate and be too definitive.