News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Mixed Armour types in EIR Legions

Started by DougM, August 28, 2020, 03:02:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DougM

Sorry if this is obvious, but I see figures available for EIR that are identical other than the armour type (mail vs segmented) - do we know if mixed armour types would occur in a unit/cohort/legion? i.e. would an entire legion be kitted out from legion supplies of a standard type, or would new drafts potentially be issued a different type at the depot before marching to join their parent legion? Or would existing armour be kept and replacements of the latest type only issued when the mail was beyond repair?

Presumably 'spares' especially of fittings would be an issue.

Basically, can I get away with mixing mail and segmentata in the same unit?
"Let the great gods Mithra and Ahura help us, when the swords are loudly clashing, when the nostrils of the horses are a tremble,...  when the strings of the bows are whistling and sending off sharp arrows."  http://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/

Duncan Head

The general feeling seems to be that they might have been mixed, though I don't know of any hard evidence for that, except perhaps for the use of both mail and scale on the Adamklissi metopes. Both mail and sgmentata plates were found in the same Newstead deposit, for instance - though we can't be sure that they were both worn, by infantry rankers, at the same date.
Duncan Head

Imperial Dave

I don't see why you can't mix both armour types Doug. The old way of thinking used to be segmented armour legionaries and mail for auxiliaries. I suspect.on the back of other discussions you might find that a group of new recruits were handed whatever there was in the quartermasters stores especially in far flung provinces...
Slingshot Editor

aligern

Indeed, if the state and private arms factories were set up for largely replacing worn out product then it would be very difficult to replace whole units of the size of legions at a time.   If there were were say 500,000 armoured men in the imperial military, one might expect armour to last for 20 years ( no major battle losses and field repairs by the unit) then the industry would be producing 25,000 armours a year. Say armour lasts ten years then its 50,000 sets a year, so a complete work through would take  ten years .  I'd accept that the industry could be geared up , but why would you, purely for uniformity's sake?  As the wear on armour is spread around  all units equally then replacing a whole unit at a time would involve moving a lot of suits around so that one or two legions had all the worn sets ready for replacement.  Why bother?

Someone mentioned, it may well have been at the Society Conference that wearing segmentata  and even tile shaped scuta may well have hung on well into the reign of Constantine as replacement worked through.  As to artistic representation , I suppose we would expect the latest styles to be on the reliefs.
Roy

Tim

Doug, good on your for raising this topic. I will follow with interest.

Imperial Dave

Possibly the only exception would be the Praetorians
Slingshot Editor

DougM

Quote from: Tim on August 28, 2020, 08:16:50 PM

Well, I confess I know not much about EIR other than Asterix comics* And I have gathered some figures for Infamy, so I am wondering what they should look like. Of course, the temptation is to do the Hollywood version, but i suspect the reality is not only more interesting to read about, but also more interesting to assemble and paint.

It's all part of the discussion about what our Romans actually looked like. My own suspicion is that there is an easy (and wrong) answer..  same with Auxilliaries.

* and of course - those would be Caesarian/Marian legions, so not EIR. But if Goscinny and Uderzo can get away with it...
"Let the great gods Mithra and Ahura help us, when the swords are loudly clashing, when the nostrils of the horses are a tremble,...  when the strings of the bows are whistling and sending off sharp arrows."  http://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/

Tim

Quote from: DougM on August 28, 2020, 11:39:12 PM
Quote from: Tim on August 28, 2020, 08:16:50 PM

Well, I confess I know not much about EIR other than Asterix comics* And I have gathered some figures for Infamy, so I am wondering what they should look like. Of course, the temptation is to do the Hollywood version, but i suspect the reality is not only more interesting to read about, but also more interesting to assemble and paint.

It's all part of the discussion about what our Romans actually looked like. My own suspicion is that there is an easy (and wrong) answer..  same with Auxilliaries.

* and of course - those would be Caesarian/Marian legions, so not EIR. But if Goscinny and Uderzo can get away with it...

Asterix comics are a primary source are they not? My EIR legions were painted from them, not having the Osprey to hand at the time...

I also strongly suspect that Octavian did not change the way legions looked immediately, not least because that would have cost money; a unit in 44BC might not look that different to the same unit in 25BC...

aligern

Interesting, too, Tim, to look at some typologies .
The mail shirts change,  The helmets change and the shields change. What does this tell us about what is going on, because its not just a straight cutoff from mail to segmentata  and the manufacture/ conversion of kit must be coped with by  industrial complex.  Similarly at the other end as segmentata is dropped.
Roy

Jim Webster

Way back, Phil Barker postulated that during the civil wars hastily raised legions had leather armour as it was faster and easier to produce than equipping everybody with mail

Given the speed with which people raised legions and the sheer number raised (Augustus apparently had 50 left and that was after disbanding most of Mark Anthony's 17.)

Even if these legions were under strength, mail is not something you can manufacture particularly rapidly

Imperial Dave

The question I would ask, which is alluded to previously, is what is the catalyst for change? Is Segmentata quicker to produce than mail? Is it developed in response to a particular need ie an enemy weapon(s) or general threat? Is it better or is it worse for protection....which could be linked to the speed of manufacture question? Do specific units or legions get this new armour and what is the level of 'blind eye' applied by the legions for hodgepodge kit?
Slingshot Editor

DougM

Quote from: Holly on August 29, 2020, 10:18:33 AM
The question I would ask, which is alluded to previously, is what is the catalyst for change? Is Segmentata quicker to produce than mail? Is it developed in response to a particular need ie an enemy weapon(s) or general threat? Is it better or is it worse for protection....which could be linked to the speed of manufacture question? Do specific units or legions get this new armour and what is the level of 'blind eye' applied by the legions for hodgepodge kit?

I also wonder whether the 'new' armour would be allocated by unit or by individual. Were armourers working at cohort or legion level? It would make some sense to group all of a single armour type together for ease of supply of parts and fittings. 

Jim Webster

Quote from: DougM on August 29, 2020, 12:25:35 PM

I also wonder whether the 'new' armour would be allocated by unit or by individual. Were armourers working at cohort or legion level? It would make some sense to group all of a single armour type together for ease of supply of parts and fittings.

I think that various things were done at various levels. Some of it was by 'posting'. If you were in a cohort or half cohort stationed in a certain place, a lot of stuff could be fixed locally, and if the place had a reasonable town anywhere near, you could probably buy replacement swords etc (or have them made)
But I would suspect recruits were fitted out by the parent unit on joining, so they probably turned up at the camp with the legionary HQ (or for auxiliaries the fort where the main part of the Auxilia was based. )

When the recruit had their kit and finished their training did anybody bother what the detachment they joined was wearing?

With regard to armour, apparently mail is easier and faster to put on and more 'comfortable'
But Segmentata is cheaper, uses less metal and so weighs less. It's also harder to clean (rolling it about in a barrel of sand isn't an option)  I suspect it could have been faster to produce.

Looking at one of the sites producing equipment for reenactors  https://www.soulofthewarrior.com/roman-armor  properly made mail with riveted rings is roughly twice the price of decent segmentata which probably puts things in context  :)

DougM

Quote from: Jim Webster on August 29, 2020, 12:51:11 PM
Quote from: DougM on August 29, 2020, 12:25:35 PM

I think that various things were done at various levels. Some of it was by 'posting'. If you were in a cohort or half cohort stationed in a certain place, a lot of stuff could be fixed locally, and if the place had a reasonable town anywhere near, you could probably buy replacement swords etc (or have them made)
But I would suspect recruits were fitted out by the parent unit on joining, so they probably turned up at the camp with the legionary HQ (or for auxiliaries the fort where the main part of the Auxilia was based. )

When the recruit had their kit and finished their training did anybody bother what the detachment they joined was wearing?

With regard to armour, apparently mail is easier and faster to put on and more 'comfortable'
But Segmentata is cheaper, uses less metal and so weighs less. It's also harder to clean (rolling it about in a barrel of sand isn't an option)  I suspect it could have been faster to produce.

Looking at one of the sites producing equipment for reenactors  https://www.soulofthewarrior.com/roman-armor  properly made mail with riveted rings is roughly twice the price of decent segmentata which probably puts things in context  :)

Yep - my thoughts as well. I also considered whether recruits or drafts sent  to join the legion would be kitted out at the depot with the armour at hand. And when they arrived, would the old sweats laugh at their new-fangled armour?

Jim Webster

Quote from: DougM on August 29, 2020, 02:07:14 PM

Yep - my thoughts as well. I also considered whether recruits or drafts sent  to join the legion would be kitted out at the depot with the armour at hand. And when they arrived, would the old sweats laugh at their new-fangled armour?

I suspect there would be an element of dumping the unsuitable crap on the newbie who's being stationed away. So you can book it out to him at full price because he knows no better and hasn't made the contacts yet to be able to get himself a better deal.