News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Mixed Armour types in EIR Legions

Started by DougM, August 28, 2020, 03:02:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Imperial Dave

so do you think 'old hands' preferred mail to segmentata?
Slingshot Editor

Jim Webster

Quote from: Holly on August 29, 2020, 09:11:13 PM
so do you think 'old hands' preferred mail to segmentata?

I suspect that the capital cost being taken out of your pay meant that you probably tried to loot or otherwise acquire mail and just pay for segmentata  ;)

Imperial Dave

an unsuspecting new recruit might be charged for mail but receive shiny new segmentata whilst old hands laugh and scheme behind his back
Slingshot Editor

Jim Webster

I suspect the centurion would make sure that he was the one who took the backhander to make sure the newbie got the kit  8)

Andreas Johansson

Did the the greatn-grandsons of Marius's Mules still carry their own gear on campaign in EIR times? If so I'd expect the new recruits to end up with the heavier hamata (assuming, of course, there indeed were units with mixed armour).

Are there any comparative studies on the protection offered by segmentata and hamata?
Lead Mountain 2024
Acquired: 120 infantry, 44 cavalry, 0 chariots, 12 other
Finished: 24 infantry, 0 cavalry, 0 chariots, 1 other

Jim Webster

Quote from: Andreas Johansson on August 30, 2020, 11:58:29 AM
Did the the greatn-grandsons of Marius's Mules still carry their own gear on campaign in EIR times? If so I'd expect the new recruits to end up with the heavier hamata (assuming, of course, there indeed were units with mixed armour).

Are there any comparative studies on the protection offered by segmentata and hamata?

On various websites various reenacters state their opinions. So Segmentata protects a smaller area better but hamata has better overall coverage
But I haven't found anything which warrants dignifying with the term 'study'  :-[

Imperial Dave

Quote from: Jim Webster on August 30, 2020, 11:28:33 AM
I suspect the centurion would make sure that he was the one who took the backhander to make sure the newbie got the kit  8)

indeed....!

following on from this though I wonder how much DIY stuff went on in the rank and file eg someone going for a shorter mail shirt (or longer) according to taste and purse etc
Slingshot Editor

Jim Webster

Quote from: Holly on August 30, 2020, 02:09:03 PM
Quote from: Jim Webster on August 30, 2020, 11:28:33 AM

indeed....!

following on from this though I wonder how much DIY stuff went on in the rank and file eg someone going for a shorter mail shirt (or longer) according to taste and purse etc

For a shorter mail shirt you just need a mail shirt and a pair of snips  8)
Longer would cost money, but you might have been able to buy/make your own, rings. You'd probably need them for patching and suchlike so somebody in the camp must have made them.

Nick Harbud

Roman Body Armour by John & Hilary Travis takes the view that for much of the period mail, segmented and scale armours tended to coexist within individual units and what one received tended to be most dependent upon what the armourers wanted to produce.  This is turn was heavily influenced by the bits of armour returned to them for salvage, what was looted off bodies after a battle and generally what involved them in the least work to turn out a complete set of lorica.

BTW, this book is really good and has lots of pictures for those interested in minutiae of how these things were constructed and what they were like to wear.

Nick Harbud

DougM

Thanks Nick, that's what I was hoping to hear.
"Let the great gods Mithra and Ahura help us, when the swords are loudly clashing, when the nostrils of the horses are a tremble,...  when the strings of the bows are whistling and sending off sharp arrows."  http://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/

Imperial Dave

Quote from: NickHarbud on September 01, 2020, 09:40:27 AM
Roman Body Armour by John & Hilary Travis takes the view that for much of the period mail, segmented and scale armours tended to coexist within individual units and what one received tended to be most dependent upon what the armourers wanted to produce.  This is turn was heavily influenced by the bits of armour returned to them for salvage, what was looted off bodies after a battle and generally what involved them in the least work to turn out a complete set of lorica.

BTW, this book is really good and has lots of pictures for those interested in minutiae of how these things were constructed and what they were like to wear.

purchased.....
Slingshot Editor

dwkay57

Do any rules differentiate between the type (i.e. mail v segmenta) in terms of any effect? Or is it just the portrayal aspect that we are considering here?
David

Imperial Dave

I was under the impression it was a portrayal thing.....if we were going down the route of differentiating between armour types for mechanisms purposes then that would be a level of granularity that would make Phil Barker do a double take :)
Slingshot Editor

dwkay57

I thought that was the case, but always useful to check.

The "old" WRG MI/LMI/MC classifications used to lump together leather, lesser or un-armoured types which to me always seemed a bit generic.
Possibly one for the rules discussion threads.
David

Imperial Dave

replied on that and see my comments about horse armour...under WRG it was much more improtant/differentiated!
Slingshot Editor