News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

eLECTURE: "The Persian Invasions of Greece Reconsidered" (Sept 23)

Started by davidb, September 12, 2020, 09:39:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidb

This was originally posted by Jeff Zorn on the ancmed e-list.  I copied and pasted it in anyone hadn't seen the original post and would be interested in the lecture. (Especially given the lively discussion that appeared here in the forum several years ago.)

David

From <https://tinyurl.com/y5vu2mz4>:
================================

The Persian Invasions of Greece Reconsidered Online talk by Prof. Nicholas Sekunda

Date & Time
Wednesday 23rd September
17.30 (London, BST)

Please note this is an online event. Register at https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_BXIocmgbQd29dGmVZe22yQ?utm_campaign=The%20Persian%20Invasions%20of%20Greece%20&utm_term=here&utm_medium=email&utm_source=directmailmac
for free.
Organised by The Iran Heritage Foundation

The 2500th anniversary of the Battles of Thermopylae and Salamis in
2021 and that of Plataea in 2022 provides a good opportunity to reconsider the Persian invasion of Greece in the light of modern scholarship and a critical analysis of the Greek texts. This lecture seeks to demonstrate that the number of Achaemenid forces sent against Greece is unknown, and that the figures given by Herodotus are falsely constructed. The defeats of Salamis and Plataea are undeniable, but they have to be put into their context of an already overstretched Empire fighting on the absolute periphery of its possibilities.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Prof. Nicholas Sekunda studied Ancient History and Archaeology at Manchester University, going on to complete his PhD in 1981. Since
1994 he has lived in Poland, where he has taught at the Nikolaus Copernicus University, Torun, and currently is the Head of Department of Mediterranean Archaeology at Gdansk University. He has participated in numerous excavations in England, Poland, Iran, Greece, Syria and Jordan, and now co-directs excavations at Negotino Gradiste in the Republic of North Macedonia. He is the author of several books on ancient Greek warfare.

For any inquiries please contact info@iranheritage.org
Tel: +44 (0)20 7493 4766

Imperial Dave

thanks David....I am on holiday that week so have no excuse not to join!
Slingshot Editor

Chuck the Grey

Thanks for the notice David. Unfortunately, the start time is 11:30 pm my time on a work night. Hopefully it will show up on You Tube at a later date.

dwkay57

Be really useful if somebody could provide a summary of key points as they might affect us as wargamers. Thanks.
David

dwkay57

Was there anything of relevance or of applied use to wargames armies (not that I want to start rebuilding my Persian army) arising from this?
David