News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Trying to cut embedded arrow shafts from a shield (video)

Started by davidb, September 25, 2020, 09:00:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidb

Tod has been doing tests with a war bow equivalent and penetration. As a result he had a shield full of arrow shafts. One question that he was asked was how easy was it to cut the shafts off the shield, like they do in the movies. The short answer is not very.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mtDbC202dI

Erpingham

Interesting.  I wonder how he extracted the real arrows?

While i can imagine wanting to extract the arrows (they make the shield heavier and more cumbersome, not to mention you could receive a nasty injury from the heads sticking out the back), I doubt it is a heat of battle thing.  Tod's flailing about seems to expose most of his body to incoming weapons for several minutes, while taking his eyes off incoming threats. 

Baldie

To be fair he is not a Greek hero who I am sure could do it with a gentle waft of the spear shaft.

Looked hard to do without propping shield up against a tree and chopping em off, is the answer swapping the shield for some plebs or letting someone else come to front whilst you drop back to sort it out..

Also wonder how many arrows you would actually pick up in your shield.

I def would not like to get shield charged with five or six arrow heads sticking through my shield.