News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Studies on Mounted Warfare in Asia

Started by Andreas Johansson, September 26, 2020, 07:36:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andreas Johansson

Series of articles on Middle Eastern cavalry in the Middle Ages by Eduard Alofs, emphasizing continuity, which I found via Sean Manning's blog, and might interest people who don't habitually read that:

Continuity and Change in Middle Eastern Warfare, c. CE 550-1350 — What Happened to the Horse Archer?
The Iranian Tradition — The Armoured Horse Archer in the Middle East, c. CE 550–1350
The Iranian Tradition — Cavalry Equipment, Infantry, and Servants, c. CE 550–1350
The Turanian Tradition — The Horse Archers of Inner Asia, c. CE 550–1350

I've only read the first one yet; it argues that early Muslim cavalry - at least up to the early Abbasid period - were armoured horse archers much like their Sassanid and Roman/Byzantine predecessors. Would do a number on various army lists if accepted.
Lead Mountain 2024
Acquired: 88 infantry, 16 cavalry, 0 chariots, 9 other
Finished: 24 infantry, 0 cavalry, 0 chariots, 1 other

Jim Webster

Quote from: Andreas Johansson on September 26, 2020, 07:36:22 AM
Series of articles on Middle Eastern cavalry in the Middle Ages by Eduard Alofs, emphasizing continuity, which I found via Sean Manning's blog, and might interest people who don't habitually read that:

Continuity and Change in Middle Eastern Warfare, c. CE 550-1350 — What Happened to the Horse Archer?
The Iranian Tradition — The Armoured Horse Archer in the Middle East, c. CE 550–1350
The Iranian Tradition — Cavalry Equipment, Infantry, and Servants, c. CE 550–1350
The Turanian Tradition — The Horse Archers of Inner Asia, c. CE 550–1350

I've only read the first one yet; it argues that early Muslim cavalry - at least up to the early Abbasid period - were armoured horse archers much like their Sassanid and Roman/Byzantine predecessors. Would do a number on various army lists if accepted.

alas I don't have a jstor account :-(

Erpingham

Quotealas I don't have a jstor account :-(

AFAIK, Jstor is still operating its 100 free titles a month to read online.  No downloading though.

nikgaukroger

Quote from: Erpingham on September 26, 2020, 09:56:16 AM
Quotealas I don't have a jstor account :-(

AFAIK, Jstor is still operating its 100 free titles a month to read online.  No downloading though.

It is.
"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."