News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Archaeologists Have Uncovered the potential site of the last supper.....

Started by Imperial Dave, December 25, 2020, 11:38:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Erpingham

According to the text of the article, the church is built on the site of Judas' kiss in the Garden of Gethsemane.  This is a different incident to the last supper, which took place in the upper room of a house.  Unless we assume Jesus and the disciples just stepped outside for a minute while Judas went to fetch the guards (who were not Romans), they are not the same place.  At times like this, I wonder if the author of the article has read the sources. ::)

Jim Webster

Quote from: Erpingham on December 26, 2020, 09:53:42 AM
According to the text of the article, the church is built on the site of Judas' kiss in the Garden of Gethsemane.  This is a different incident to the last supper, which took place in the upper room of a house.  Unless we assume Jesus and the disciples just stepped outside for a minute while Judas went to fetch the guards (who were not Romans), they are not the same place.  At times like this, I wonder if the author of the article has read the sources. ::)

You beat me to it, the last supper was held in an upper room in a house somewhere within the city. Pretty much all we know is "He answered, "As you go into the city, a man carrying a jar of water will meet you. Follow him into the house that he enters,  and say to the owner of the house: 'The Teacher says to you, Where is the room where my disciples and I will eat the Passover meal?'  He will show you a large furnished room upstairs, where you will get everything ready.""

Interestingly the Israeli Newspaper quoted in the article doesn't mention the Last Supper at all "A mikveh dating to the Second Temple period has been found in the garden of Gethsemane, at the foot of the Mount of Olives in Jerusalem, the Israel Antiquities Authority announced on Monday."

So I suspect it's ignorance on the part of the journalist

Nick Harbud

... and the total absence of any aluminium food containers confirms it.

:P
Nick Harbud

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Chuck the Grey

Quote from: NickHarbud on December 26, 2020, 11:09:54 AM

I'm not so sure. Are aluminum food containers kosher?

Imperial Dave

Quote from: Chuck the Grey on December 26, 2020, 09:09:54 PM
Quote from: NickHarbud on December 26, 2020, 11:09:54 AM

I'm not so sure. Are aluminum food containers kosher?

As long as whats in them is  :)
Slingshot Editor

Duncan Head

Quote from: Holly on December 25, 2020, 11:38:08 PM
Archaeologists Have Uncovered the potential site of the last supper.....

... at a thermopolium in Pompeii?
Duncan Head

Nick Harbud

It would make perfect sense.  After all, we know that wine was dispensed to the disciples on the understanding that it was the pourer's blood - quite heady stuff!  What would be more natural than to stop at a fast food establishment on the way home afterwards?

???
Nick Harbud

Erpingham

Hmmm.  I think any thoughts of a quick kebab were rather blown by the intervention of the security forces on this occassion.  Everyone ran off and hid, except Peter, who went in for a bit of skulking and denying in courtyards.

Nick Harbud

Nick Harbud

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor