News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Weapons finds in mediaeval Yotvingian cemetery

Started by Duncan Head, March 10, 2021, 01:09:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Imperial Dave

oooh, some nice kit on display by the reenactors  :)
Slingshot Editor

Erpingham

Quote from: Holly on March 10, 2021, 01:26:25 PM
oooh, some nice kit on display by the reenactors  :)

I find the ubiquity of the PPE leather gloves interesting.  Real illustrations of the period rarely show gloves.

Does this mean 1. Modern people are more worried about hand injuries 2. The risk of hand injuries is caused by re-enacting techniques. ?

Imperial Dave

its normally a requirement of the liability insurance but also self preservation. When I was re-enacting there were 2 non negotiable requirements - a helmet and hand protection if you wanted to 'fight' and there was a 'no head shots' rule
Slingshot Editor

Erpingham

This discussion has made me consider the issue of "re-enactor" gauntlets.  I was amazed to discover that there are numerous suppliers and they vary from "fantasy" costume pieces to stuff designed to serve as protective gear but look sort of ancient (i.e. made of leather).  Prices for a single right hand "battle" or fighting glove (presumably regulations allow you to do with out on your shield arm) are around £45-£75.   I miss my old army surplus despatch rider gauntlets :)

DBS

Quote from: Erpingham on March 11, 2021, 10:26:39 AM
This discussion has made me consider the issue of "re-enactor" gauntlets.  I was amazed to discover that there are numerous suppliers and they vary from "fantasy" costume pieces to stuff designed to serve as protective gear but look sort of ancient (i.e. made of leather).  Prices for a single right hand "battle" or fighting glove (presumably regulations allow you to do with out on your shield arm) are around £45-£75.   I miss my old army surplus despatch rider gauntlets :)
That said, there is the interesting question of whether, for example, Egyptian charioteers wore gloves.  The point is that, although depictions of Pharaoh and supporting cast in heroic mode mowing down Asiatics or whoever do not depict them wearing driving gloves (after all, Pharaoh most often is not shown sharing the glory in his chariot with any lesser beings anyway, with reins around his waist), there are depictions of nobility sat at home with suspected status symbols in the picture, including a pair of gloves under the chair in at least one case.  (Maybe they were not driving gloves but he was just a keen rose gardener...)  Not conclusive, but an interesting possibility.

A bit like the British Army used to issue Northern Ireland Patrol Gloves - it was rufty tufty not to wear gloves during training, but when you are actually patrolling on ops in civilian areas, putting manliness over sheer comfort and safety in handling lethal weaponry in the cold and rain was recognised as plain daft.  And of course, once someone got such gloves, they would wear them on any occasion that it was a bit nippy, regardless of whether they were in NI or not.
David Stevens

Imperial Dave

Quote from: Erpingham on March 11, 2021, 10:26:39 AM

I bought a lovely set of articulate plate ones for the medieval stuff but for early/Dark Age, made do with 'welders gloves'!
Slingshot Editor