News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Violent death in the prehistoric Atacama desert

Started by Duncan Head, August 25, 2021, 11:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DBS

It does sometimes surprise me that so many archaeologists are themselves surprised by the fact that ancient man had such a propensity to bash in his neighbour's skull for the sake of scarce resources.  The curse of modern liberal and social studies, I suppose...
David Stevens

Jim Webster

Quote from: DBS on August 27, 2021, 08:08:16 PM
It does sometimes surprise me that so many archaeologists are themselves surprised by the fact that ancient man had such a propensity to bash in his neighbour's skull for the sake of scarce resources.  The curse of modern liberal and social studies, I suppose...

I suspect it says more about modern attitudes than that of the contemporaries of the victim.
But reading any court report from before 1600 in England shows that lethal violence was probably more common than it is now

Ade G

Quote from: Jim Webster on August 28, 2021, 10:15:50 AM
Quote from: DBS on August 27, 2021, 08:08:16 PM

I suspect it says more about modern attitudes than that of the contemporaries of the victim.
But reading any court report from before 1600 in England shows that lethal violence was probably more common than it is now

Can I recommend "War Before Civilisation" Lawrence H Keeley. It does a decent job of nullifying the myth of the peaceful savage in history

Erpingham

I'd also recommend Mortal Wounds by Martin Smith, who has a lot on the archaeology of early violence.