News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Gladiators Awaiting Death

Started by Aetius, October 28, 2021, 04:01:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duncan Head

Duncan Head

Erpingham

Quote from: Duncan Head on October 28, 2021, 04:24:57 PM
The Richborough dig, as in http://soa.org.uk/sm/index.php?board=31.0

It's interesting how the two pieces, clearly working from the same press pack, lead on the story.

CNN - cells and death fights.
Guardian - cats and decor

Aetius

Quote from: Erpingham on October 28, 2021, 04:40:39 PM
Quote from: Duncan Head on October 28, 2021, 04:24:57 PM
The Richborough dig, as in http://soa.org.uk/sm/index.php?board=31.0

It's interesting how the two pieces, clearly working from the same press pack, lead on the story.

CNN - cells and death fights.
Guardian - cats and decor

The Romans are British history while in Canada and the US our history doesn't go back as far. European history in the Americas goes back 500 years so I think the cells and death fights are to grab the public's attention. Sorry this is posted twice I will try to be more careful...

John

Erpingham

Yes, I can see  "Dead cat found in hole in Kent, England" might not have excited the interest of the population of North America :)

Aetius

Quote from: Erpingham on October 29, 2021, 09:34:48 AM
Yes, I can see  "Dead cat found in hole in Kent, England" might not have excited the interest of the population of North America :)

Indeed, with the exception of 'Crazy Cat Ladies' this story would have died a quick death... :-)

John

Hannipaul

"in Canada and the US our history doesn't go back as far".  ??? And here was me thinking that humans had been on the North American continent for over 30, 000 years.

Erpingham

Quote from: Hannipaul on November 01, 2021, 11:59:57 AM
  "in Canada and the US our history doesn't go back as far".  ??? And here was me thinking that humans had been on the North American continent for over 30, 000 years.

To be fair to John, I assumed he was making a division between history and prehistory.  I don't think there is much Canadian history recorded before the 17th century (brief mentions in Icelandic sagas not withstanding).  Central and South America is a little different but I think indigenous historical records are still post-Roman.

Aetius

Yes, I was using the definition of history with which there were written records. European history in the Americas goes back about 500 years with the exception of the Vikings. First Nations Prehistory goes back at least to the last Ice Age but seems to have stayed in the Stone Age. However their social progress seems quite advanced. Europeans didn't seem to defeat them militarily at first but our diseases decimated them. Then we were more successful. The story of the First Nations in Canada and the US is fascinating albeit a sad one indeed...

John