News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Is this how a Pictish fort looked 1,000 years ago?

Started by Imperial Dave, November 02, 2021, 06:30:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duncan Head

Duncan Head

aligern

Indeed, though the problem with promontory forts would be that they are relatively easy to besiege , there being only one way out. ( if the cliff is enough to deter an opponent landing its probably not that easy fir tge defenders to cross.
Roy

Erpingham

Though a well-prepared, well stocked promentary fort might be better equipped to endure than army of the period with somewhat ad hoc logistics.  Just sit and wait till they get hungry, disease breaks out or they fall out and go home.  Or your relief force from elsewhere in the kingdom appears in the bay, turning the besiegers' flank.

aligern

Having only one exit considerably reduces the stress on the besieger.  As to sitting there for a long time, it didn't daunt the Vikings at Alt Cluidh.
Roy

RichT

I have always assumed that the purpose of these sorts of forts is to prevent raids and assaults rather than to withstand a formal siege - for this, sea and cliffs are ideal. As a place to live, it must have been pretty miserable.

Though I also wonder to what extent the location of a fort (or other fortified structure) is chosen because it looks defensible, rather than because (on careful analysis of the pros and cons) it is defensible. The visuals of fortified positions are I think somewhat underrated.

(Edit - as the article says, it 'was built to be "dramatic and imposing".)

Erpingham

Quote from: aligern on November 03, 2021, 10:54:43 AM
Having only one exit considerably reduces the stress on the besieger.  As to sitting there for a long time, it didn't daunt the Vikings at Alt Cluidh.
Roy

While not familiar with the siege of Alt Cluidh, I'm not sure that the Viking approach was always so patient, nor that Early Medieval raiding forces were usually able (or even inclined) to sit down in one place and starve the inhabitants out.  As Richard said, the impressive, impenetrable appearance may discourage any attempt (I know, lets look for a softer target like that monastery down the coast) unless treachery or surprise was in play.

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Nick Harbud

Except, perhaps, for Caernarfon Castle with no less than 6 portcullisses?
Nick Harbud

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Erpingham

The gate of the reconstruction is rather vague but looks quite weak - no towers or walkways, just what a presumably wooden gates in wide spaces.  I can't see anything that would allow flanking shooting or overhead missiles, except by people balanced on the exposed wall ends.  This may be the archaeologists being unclear what was happening in the area and placing it in a hazy distant view, of course :)

Imperial Dave

needs a good military historian to add chrome.....
Slingshot Editor

Anton

That one's worth seeing, thanks Dave.   

On supply for the defenders, no doubt resources were concentrated there and supply by sea possible.  There is also the effect of tides for attackers to mull. The amount of labour required to build such fortifications  should also be considered.