News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

9th French Open of Armati

Started by AUGER Vincent, November 05, 2012, 07:58:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AUGER Vincent

The event took place on the 27th and 28th of October.
The competition offers 3 games per day, each day being dedicated to a specific period.
This year, the Saturday's period was Dark-Ages armies, with a restriction on mounted bowmen to favour northern armies.
The Sunday's period was biblical which I consider as one of the most balanced era in Armati.

Here are the final rankings

1st : Auger Vincent (Norse Irish + Lybians)
2nd : Laurent Laurent (Normands + Nubians)
3rd : Flottes Henri (Britto Romans, i.e. Arthur + Egyptians)
4th : Patry Michel (Normands + Neo Hittite)
5th : Debure Stéphane (Byzantines + Lydians)
6th : Cosson Frédéric (Vikings + Nubians)
7th : Patry Thibaud (Serbs + Cannaanites)
8th : Lebarbier François + Chevance Frédéric (Crusaders + Egyptians)

The next OFA will take place in Rueil on the 26th and 27th of October 2013.

Best regards

Vincent

aligern

Fascinating army choices Vincent. It is interesting that few players choose similar Dark Age and Biblical armies. Normandy and Nubians being very different.

Roy

Mark G

Were you using the modified French scoring systems, that allow a handicap for the weakest armies?

Or the generic swiss chess thing we are used to in the UK?

(I'm expecting the former, since those Nubians are woeful on their own, and the Lybians are pretty hard to do anything with too)

AUGER Vincent

The scoring system is a simple 2-1-0 for victory-draw-loss with Sum of Defeated Opponent Scores as a tie breaker.
The list are taken straight from the book or from Warflute with no modification for break points irrespective of number of key units in core.

Having 8 players in 6 rounds, i.e. each player met 6 opponents out of 7 possible, I used a round robin (all play all) pairing system choosing just which round was not played (e.g. I choose to avoid Michel playing against his son Thibaud).

The Nubians are probably one of the most powerful army of this period, once you have mastered the skill of protecting the LI with the LHI. Even at Munich where armies are imposed like in Derby, they scored 3 victories in 4 games.

The Libyans that I used are more difficult to play (especially with BP 5) but I was lucky not to meet chariot heavy armies and the non key LI in front of LHI proved to be very usefull. I was also quite lucky in both my games against Laurent and Henri.