News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

The Rus in ADLG action from Reading

Started by madaxeman, August 31, 2022, 10:12:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madaxeman

One of the great beauties about L'Art de la Guerre is the way the shorter game time (about 2.5 hours) means you can fit 3 games into a day. It sounds fairly minor, but a 3-round Swiss Draw tournament is just, well, a lot, lot more "meaty" than a 2-round one would be - but without imposing so many games on you that a poor army design could leave you cursing the protracted pain of facing a series of lengthy drawn out defeats either.

The recent Reading-based 1-dayer ticked all of those boxes with a theme of "the World of the Rus and Vikings" - armies with a connection to either of these peoples, in the form of a historical antipathy or conflict, a mention in the army list notes, or an allied contingent of either of the two.

I however went full Zelensky on this one, and chose a Rus army with no allies at all, a simple list chosen mainly as it was as close as I could get to using all of the lockdown-rebased Rus spearmen I owned all on table together whilst not totally ignoring the "good" options in the overall design.

That did mean a lot of spearmen - an often-unloved troop type who are nevertheless superb in the right circumstances. And, of course, how could I forget, a chance yet again to deploy the age-old groan-inducing Rus Abbot punchline against three unwary opponents!

All three Bella Emberg-free reports from this event are now online as the Rus take on the Carolingians, the Vikings and the Thematic Byzantine Empire in these fully illustrated and statistic rich reports.

https://www.madaxeman.com/reports/Southern_League_r4_2022_1.php

Denis Grey

You do realize that at some point, probably fairly soon, I'm going to start asking whether any of your opponents was also a  member of the Society, don't you Tim?  (Look forward to reading the reports later.)

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Jim Webster

Years ago at the club we had a chap with a Russ army which was predominantly spearmen (Probably under 6th edition) and they were always a serious threat to deal with

Imperial Dave

yep, under 6th LTS were tough to demolish
Slingshot Editor