News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

PAW Plymouth 4/5th February

Started by Ian61, January 30, 2023, 02:01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian61

I am planning on going down on to Plymouth on the Saturday (4th), as much out of curiosity as anything else. I will probably look at joining in a battle. I will be wearing my SoA logoed polo shirt and fleece so if any other members are attending they should be able to spot me.
Ian Piper
Norton Fitzwarren, Somerset

Denis Grey

Tim (madaxeman) Porter is due to be there, taking part in the 25mm L'Art de la Guerre Dark Ages/Early Feudal competition.

Ian61

PAW report - as some of you will know I am not a veteran of these events so have limited knowledge for comparison but this seemed well organised and I certainly enjoyed my time there - so thnk you to PAW. There were two sports halls in use. In one there were competitions for several rules systems inc Fantasy /Sci Fi but also plenty of historicals (a treat to see all the beautiful and inventively presented armies). the other hall had a dozen or so demonstration / participation games (interestingly these were more heavily weighted to historicals) with traders stalls around the outside. There were even a few Civil War re-enactors showing off their finery and weaponry.

The demonstration games looked impressive and the chaps running the stands keen to enthuse on their projects, including Mollwitz (1741) and Hingston Down (838). I joined in a few small games, most relevantly, perhaps, a new skirmish game under creation called Brethren (see post in rules section).

The trade stands were interesting and, although varied, not perhaps as numerous as the organisers perhaps would have liked - I am sure a bit of a catch 22 situation, especially after a few fallow years. I can see from the point of view of the competitions the two days must be a good idea but I wonder if the rest of the show can sustain two full days. I will be interested to see how it evolves in the next few years as it is one I can easily drop down to.
Ian Piper
Norton Fitzwarren, Somerset