News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Tigranes' Armenians?

Started by Trev, March 09, 2023, 10:53:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CarlL

Trev
Great link to very clear image.
The similarities of earlier image (above) with a number of these sculpted reliefs suggests there should be figures out there in Achaemenid ranges, as well as Scythian and Parthian (and possibly some Sassanid types) to fill your army with variety of appropriate troops.
I do like to see others research even if its not 'original' (thats another debate) it still helps you get into period and focuses thinking on what you are going to 'muster' and paint.
All power to your search skills and paintbrush Trev.
CarlL

Swampster

Quote from: Trev on March 18, 2023, 05:49:55 PM
Quote from: CarlL on March 18, 2023, 10:14:53 AMGreat detective  (search) work Trev.

I'm just eavesdropping on the shoulders of giants.  ;)

That 'Zahhak Castle warrior' is certainly interesting.  The shoulders look cloak-like to me, perhaps with a long overcoat and thigh length under tunic.  Sadly, the headgear is too damaged to be sure if it's a helmet or a cap.   I wonder if there was any basis for the recreation of the barbed spear?   

The curve at the hem and the creases look to me that this is part of the same garment rather than an open coat revealing an under-tunic. If the two bits going down from belt level are edges of a coat, I would have though that they would continue to the bottom of the coat.

Trev

Quote from: Swampster on March 18, 2023, 09:17:38 PMThe curve at the hem and the creases look to me that this is part of the same garment rather than an open coat revealing an under-tunic. If the two bits going down from belt level are edges of a coat, I would have though that they would continue to the bottom of the coat.

I see what you mean, it could be that.

Incidentally, I found a thread with a bit on Gordyene here

stevenneate

Armenians have always been one of my favourites, ever since I took them on in the club's Classical Age campaign. It was back in the day of WRG 6th edition when the Armenian cataphracts were only C class extra-heavy cavalry armed with javelins. The Parthians and Seleucids tore me apart but I survived the campaign with a rump of Armenians and hiding amongst my Iberian & Albanian chums.

I built the army in both 15mm and 25mm.

The 15mm army largely came from the Donnington ranges but I also had full cataphract contingents in Donnington, Essex and Tin Soldier figures - you can never have enough cataphracts I say! The horse archers are a mixture of Parthians and Skythians. I took a similar view of the Armenian infantry and plundered everything in "tunic & trousers" available. I used theuros-armed Celts rearmed with spears for the Iberian infantry. The Albanian cataphracts were Donington Sarmatians rearmed with javelins.

What a labour of love it was!

Trev

Hi Steve,

I'm pleased you've seen this discussion as it is kind of your fault.  I doubt you remember, but you, me, and the incomparable Allen Curtis, were chatting at an SOA game day many years ago about WAB, Slingshot and my ideas for a WAB Caesar book.  Sadly, the latter never came to fruition but I've always felt that I rashly promised you I'd build an Armenian army in that conversation.  As we've started playing ADLG at my club recently, now seemed a good time to look into making good on my youthful boast.  It seems I'm still not in the cool gang when it comes to rules but the moderate army sizes of ADLG make my goal more achievable.

RobertGargan

The Armenians were one of my first armies in the heyday of DBM.  I remember swamping the Romans with masses of javelin armed elements.  Now we use Impetus, tactics have to be a little more considered.  The Tigranes' list in Impetus contains Roman style infantry – I think I have seen some archaeological evidence for this troop type.  I am due to take on my opponent's 15mm Armenian army in the near future so I shall endeavour to write up a report of the encounter.

stevenneate

The Imitation Legionaries are a must-have for Tigranes. It's kind-of the meglomaniacs self-delusion of fake-it-till-you'make-it.

Sadly as everyone who tried the "imitator's guide to building a legion" found out, they weren't as good as the real thing. But great for us who want variety in our armies and the chance to convert figures!

Trev

I like a good imitation legionary.  The current army I'm building is Numidians for Juba I and they have lots. ;D

My Numidian legionaries are very Roman looking but that Zahhak Castle figure could well be an imitation legionary for a more Iranian vibe.  I might go with something more like that for Tigranes' boys.

The ADLG Armenian list doesn't allow many legionaries, so I think I'd need some Phalangites as well for a solid infantry core.  The next question then is, should they wear trousers?  From memory there is little to no evidence for them but I quite fancy some trousered pikemen to use as Pantodapoi and other eastern successor types.

stevenneate

I would say trouser them up. Bare legs are for those wimpy Westerners.