News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Viking coin hoard found by Danish metal-detector

Started by Duncan Head, April 22, 2023, 01:05:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duncan Head

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2023/apr/21/hoard-of-1000-year-old-viking-coins-unearthed-in-denmark

I had to look twice to be sure that this wasn't the same as the last Viking hoard story, but different country and circumstances!
Duncan Head

Erpingham

"The Vikings believed that burying their treasure allowed them to find it again after death."

Interesting.  I've read about many Viking hoards but not seen that interpretation before. 

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Duncan Head

Quote from: Imperial Dave on April 22, 2023, 02:40:07 PMSilly reasoning

Spend it now I say

"You can't take it with you" - unless, it seems, you're a Viking (or a Pharaoh).
Duncan Head

Erpingham

Quote from: Imperial Dave on April 22, 2023, 02:40:07 PMSilly reasoning

Spend it now I say

In many cultures, they would laugh at your foolish lack of planning.  You are going to be in the afterlife longer than on earth, so better to make preparations to be comfortable.

Without more information on this belief (which, as I said, I've not come across before), I'm not sure how it worked.  Is it a "pension" scheme, where you bury any surpluses you have to build up a nestegg?  Or is it "insurance", in that you could dig it up again if you survived but if you didn't, you had a lump sum for the hereafter?

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor