News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Symmetricality in ancient chariot decoration

Started by Ian61, May 17, 2023, 05:17:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian61

This may be a odd question but it is one I have pondered for some time and it came to me again as I was eyeing up getting some more British chariots and looking again at the transfers by Little Big Men Studios for the Victrix Celtic chariots, works of art in themselves. Whilst I suspect Celtic chariots would have been colourful, would a chariots design actually be the same on both sides (or a reflection if for instance an animal is facing front) or might Celts have considered the two sides to be different panels and do quite different designs on the left and right sides? Is the idea that they should be symmetrical simply something that 'looks' right to modern eyes? Is this even a question that can have an answer? ???
Ian Piper
Norton Fitzwarren, Somerset

Mark G

Lots of symmetry in Celtic art, so why not?

Ian61

Ian Piper

DBS

Quote from: Mark G on May 17, 2023, 05:22:57 PMLots of symmetry in Celtic art, so why not?
Absolutely, but equally that is in the context of a visual impression that is seen complete.  One would not be able to see both sides of a chariot simultaneously...

Personally, I would always go for symmetry but that is because of my modern OCD!
David Stevens

Ian61

Quote from: DBS on May 18, 2023, 08:48:10 AMOne would not be able to see both sides of a chariot simultaneously.

A point I was thinking about but should have stated. I can't disagree with Mark and I am with you in thinking that I will probably keep mine symmetrical but I can easily imagine some youngster thinking it very cool to paint designs of winter /summer of sun/moon or fertility / war etc.etc. on the two sides and in reality it could look very effective. I suspect the patterns had power and meaning so would not more patterns be better?
Ian Piper

Erpingham

Quote from: Ian61 on May 18, 2023, 03:37:33 PM
Quote from: DBS on May 18, 2023, 08:48:10 AMI suspect the patterns had power and meaning so would not more patterns be better?

The really complex patterns appear to be later than the chariot era.  Looking at Iron Age patterns, they fill the space and are beautifully balanced but they tend to be curves and circular forms rather than complex interlace.