News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Geoffrey Chaucer's handwriting

Started by Duncan Head, July 12, 2023, 02:09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian61

Actually this is a good, looks neat and most of the letters are clearly identifiable.

It reminds me that for many years I was quite embarrassed by my untidy hand. I would write on the board in a rapid print and however hard I tried it never looked as nice as that of my colleges. Then, during one sixth form practical session, whilst waiting for things to happen, the topic came up and I mentioned how I felt about my writing but was vehemently assured by my students that they liked the way I wrote all the letters clearly whereas they found the writing of some colleagues that 'looked' much nicer frustrating as they often found it hard to decipher. Given the nature of the individuals I decided that they were actually telling me true on this so I just carried on doing the same, although I still always tried to write more neatly I stopped worrying. 8)
Ian Piper
Norton Fitzwarren, Somerset

Imperial Dave

I plead the 5th and am so grateful for word processing
Slingshot Editor

Jim Webster

Quote from: Imperial Dave on July 12, 2023, 03:51:22 PMI plead the 5th and am so grateful for word processing

I 'graduated' from pencil to 'dip pen' at school at about the age of about eight. Not only that but they switched us from one 'font' to another, trying to get us to write a more cursive
Being left handed, attempting to write with a dip pen nearly plunged me back into illiteracy and it even moving over to fountain pens at 'big school' didn't help much. I was rescued by the schools allowing the use of biros.

Imperial Dave

I too had the experience of dip pens so cartridge pens were a godsend!
Slingshot Editor