News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Roman swords found in Israel

Started by Erpingham, September 06, 2023, 12:16:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erpingham

Nick Harbud

Nice view from the cave entrance too!  One wonders how much effort was involved in caching the weapons there nearly 2,000 years ago?

???
Nick Harbud

Duncan Head

If it is indeed from the 130s, that's a very early ring-pommel sword:

"This type of sword originated around the mid-second century AD..."

Makes it a very interesting find.
Duncan Head

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

nikgaukroger

I think the dating of the finds is still to be decided - https://www.israelnationalnews.com/news/376611 - there is always a tendency to try and match finds to major historical events and it doesn't always work out that way.
"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

nikgaukroger

Also, over on Twitter, the Roman Military Equipment account (official account of the book  ;) ) has said that the pilum find is a square sectioned spear head or possibly a catapult bolt.

https://twitter.com/EquipmentRoman/status/1699393808142655533
"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

Erpingham

This report has a good picture of the so-called pilum head. It seems to lack the distinctive features of a pilum - small head and long shaft.

Jon Freitag

Quote from: Erpingham on September 07, 2023, 12:15:24 PMThis report has a good picture of the so-called pilum head. It seems to lack the distinctive features of a pilum - small head and long shaft.
This looks much more like a lance/spear head to me.  Could this be of Spanish origin?

Duncan Head

Quote from: Erpingham on September 07, 2023, 12:15:24 PMThis report has a good picture of the so-called pilum head. It seems to lack the distinctive features of a pilum - small head and long shaft.
Looks almost like a hoplite spear's butt-spike.
Duncan Head

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Erpingham

Quote from: Duncan Head on September 07, 2023, 02:15:02 PMLooks almost like a hoplite spear's butt-spike.

Thank goodness you said that.  Like Dave, I thought that, but thought the Israeli archaeology service wouldn't make such a mistake.  But with your breadth of knowledge, for you to think it, certainly opens it up.  However, perhaps we are looking at re-use as a spear point?  If you are a guerilla stashing what weapons you can get, make do and mend might be where you are at.

Duncan Head

I don't know how likely it is to be a butt-spike, though, considering the apparent date. Roman spears, as far as I know, tend to have small "shoes" or else no butt-metalwork at all. Could it be something ceremonial, or a posh officer's weapon? It certainly looks like a sauroter, square cross-section and looking uncertain as to how sharp the point ever was, but I don't know how likely it is to actually be one.
Duncan Head

nikgaukroger

I'll stick with the Roman Military Equipment view as its from such an authoritative source.

nikgaukroger

Duncan Head

And if Guy Stiebel is prepared to put his name to an account that calls it a pilum, then that gives me pause for thought...
Duncan Head