News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Swords found in Cotswolds

Started by Imperial Dave, September 23, 2023, 08:35:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Ian61

Good spot both - out of curiosity can any of the experts on the forum shed light on the apparent extra bit of metal on what should be the pointy end of one? I was thinking perhaps a bit of metal reinforcement to the scabbard (an endmount/finial? or are those later?)
Ian Piper
Norton Fitzwarren, Somerset

DBS

Quote from: Ian61 on September 23, 2023, 08:01:10 PMGood spot both - out of curiosity can any of the experts on the forum shed light on the apparent extra bit of metal on what should be the pointy end of one? I was thinking perhaps a bit of metal reinforcement to the scabbard (an endmount/finial? or are those later?)
Scabbard chape - yes, reinforcement to stop the blade puncturing the bottom of the scabbard.   Looks like one in situ, the other in the gentleman's hand.  I think the lady may be holding a scabbard throat (ie reinforcement of the other, open end of the scabbard) but that is just a guess given the small size in the photo.  Alternatively, she has a broken off fragment of hilt or a belt fitting.
David Stevens