News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

IMPORTANT UPDATE - The Society Convention

Started by Richard Lockwood, October 02, 2023, 02:35:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Lockwood

Please note we are now more or less at capacity and cannot accept any more bookings that include accommodation without you first emailing me at convention@soa.org.uk so I can see if I can organise the accommodation with the venue.

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

lionheartrjc

What Richard L failed to mention is that there are still day tickets available - so if you don't want to stay, you can attend for a single day.  A possible option for anyone living within travelling distance of Cambridge.

Imperial Dave

Also good to know. There is an outside chance of me turning up to one day.
Slingshot Editor

Nick Harbud

One should also note that there is plenty of alternate hotel accommodation within a relatively short distance of Madingley.
Nick Harbud

Richard Lockwood

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Crossley

I have just spent the weekend at the convention as a new member. The convention was excellent - well run, enjoyable, diverse in rules sets and discussions.  There was a show of hands in the wash-up in respect use of the forum so I thought I would find the forum and post to say "thank you" while it was fresh in mind. I look forward to exploring the boards and using this resource for information and ideas. Neil Crossley

Erpingham

Quote from: Crossley on October 23, 2023, 08:17:51 AMThere was a show of hands in the wash-up in respect use of the forum so I thought I would find the forum and post to say "thank you" while it was fresh in mind. I look forward to exploring the boards and using this resource for information and ideas. Neil Crossley

Dive in Neil.  Don't be afraid to post on your interests or ask questions.  If you need answers to any technical questions, like how to insert pictures, just ask.  We might even collectively know the answer  :)

Ian61

Quote from: Erpingham on October 23, 2023, 09:49:31 AM
Quote from: Crossley on October 23, 2023, 08:17:51 AMThere was a show of hands in the wash-up in respect use of the forum so I thought I would find the forum and post to say "thank you" while it was fresh in mind. I look forward to exploring the boards and using this resource for information and ideas. Neil Crossley

Dive in Neil.  Don't be afraid to post on your interests or ask questions.  If you need answers to any technical questions, like how to insert pictures, just ask.  We might even collectively know the answer  :)

Glad you enjoyed the experience, despite the weather problems. (We met very briefly start of the wash up meeting. It was my third and certainly won't be my last so I hope to have chance to talk longer with you next year.)

I will say Dave is not wrong, I am a reasonably well read 'man in the street' by comparison to many on the forum and I continue to be regularly impressed by the depth of knowledge and wisdom available from our more academic members. Well knowledge certainly, jury out on wisdom :P  ;D
Ian Piper
Norton Fitzwarren, Somerset

Ian61

This actually seems a suitable strand to make clear the debt all who attended owe to Richard Lockwood and the committee for the excellent organisation in the face of considerable weather induced disruption. It was really sad that some members and the key speaker were unable to attend but I do notice that most society members are quite happy to talk and hold forth at length about all sorts of topics so there was no danger of us getting bored! :D
Ian Piper
Norton Fitzwarren, Somerset

Duncan Head

Quote from: Ian61 on October 23, 2023, 10:06:04 AMThis actually seems a suitable strand to make clear the debt all who attended owe to Richard Lockwood and the committee for the excellent organisation in the face of considerable weather induced disruption. It was really sad that some members and the key speaker were unable to attend but I do notice that most society members are quite happy to talk and hold forth at length about all sorts of topics so there was no danger of us getting bored! :D
Hear hear.

Another very successful convention, great fun and well organised by Richard despite the handicaps of people cancelling because of the rain and floods.

(My condolences to those whose travel plans were disrupted.)
Duncan Head

lionheartrjc

Just finished putting things away after running two games at the SoA Convention.  Can I add my thanks to Richard  Lockwood for all his efforts and to both those who organised some very interesting games and to those who participated in my game (I hope they found them interesting!).

RJC

aligern

Yes it was a very worthwhile event and with such a good number of attendees there was always a buzz about both plenary and breakout sessions. Richard, his teram and all the committee that worked on the production are to be congratulated.

Roy

John GL

Weather problems, eh?  The 1987 Conference was the day after the Hurricane: I and a friend found ourselves stranded somewhere in Northamptonshire in my Mini as roads in every direction appeared to be flooded... we did get to Knuston in the end. 

Glad it's all going well.