News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Tours 732 AD

Started by Erpingham, October 31, 2023, 12:53:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erpingham

Not in the usual format, but here is a collection of the main sources for the battle.

This is a battle about which a great mythology has evolved and great theories of the rise of Western chivalry have featured it, so it's interesting to see how thin and contradictory the evidence is.

Imperial Dave

More a skirmish than a big battle.....?
Slingshot Editor

Nick Harbud

I thought Anthony was posting about something to do on one's holidays....  :-[
Nick Harbud

Ian61

Quote from: Nick Harbud on November 01, 2023, 08:57:20 AMI thought Anthony was posting about something to do on one's holidays....  :-[

More like a day trip gone wrong!
Ian Piper
Norton Fitzwarren, Somerset

Erpingham

Quote from: Imperial Dave on October 31, 2023, 06:12:48 PMMore a skirmish than a big battle.....?

Depends a bit whether we are just talking size or also intensity of action and strategic result.

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Duncan Head

Quote from: Imperial Dave on October 31, 2023, 06:12:48 PMMore a skirmish than a big battle.....?
One of the points made on the blog page discussion is that none of the sources give us any real impression of the army sizes involved. So whatever your threshold for "skirmish", I think the answer is "we don't know". 
Duncan Head

Imperial Dave

thanks Duncan. Cant for the life of me remember where I read it ages ago but one commentator (modern) claimed it was more likely an opportune large skirmish that defined strategic limitations of the Muslim forces push into Europe
Slingshot Editor

Nick Harbud

The same sort of wargaming model that defined the American Civil War then - two armed mobs chasing each other around the countryside?

???
Nick Harbud

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor