News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Conquest Sacramento - Ancients

Started by willb, April 01, 2014, 04:16:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

willb

This past Saturday I ran two games of Scutarii from Hoplite Research at Conquest Sacramento.   These were the battles of Hydaspes and Asculum.
Battle reports and photos can be found at
http://18clovehamhock.blogspot.com/2014/03/conquest-sacramento.html

Bill

Patrick Waterson

Interesting, Bill, and thanks.

Curiously enough, in both cases it was the Hellenistic army (the historical winner) which bit the dust.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

willb

HI Patrick,

Pure bad luck at Asculum.   The other times that I have run that battle Pyrrhus won.   Some tactical mistakes cost the Macedonians at Hydaspes.   This was the second time that I had run Hydaspes.  The previous time Alexander died.

Bill

Duncan Head

Quote from: willb on April 02, 2014, 02:34:31 AMThis was the second time that I had run Hydaspes.  The previous time Alexander died.
Interestng in view of next year's Battleday.
Duncan Head

Patrick Waterson

Indeed.

For what it is worth, my own understanding of the Hydaspes is that Alexander ganged up on Porus' left wing (where Porus happened to be) rather than trying to front the entire Indian army.  The unengaged 2/3 or 3/4 of the Indians seem to have stood there while Demetrius' cavalry did its circuit and following that there seems to have been nobody to give them orders, so they either spent the battle standing and waiting or shuffled in piecemeal to be minced together with Porus' wing (or Porus' wing was driven down his own infantry line bit by bit).

It is nevertheless good to see Scutarii finally on view, Bill - all those who have been waiting can now observe it in action.

Is it worth a run through of a selection of the rules mechanisms?
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill