News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

battle videos

Started by willb, October 17, 2015, 04:22:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

willb

Came across these videos of Asculum and Heraclea thanks to a member of a club I belong to
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HcoVNbkrXs

Jim Webster

Chris

The production values are amazing. One marvels at the time it must have taken to put these clips together.

Elephants with crew?! Cavalry?! Pike phalanxes?! Slingers?!

I wonder how LEGO legions and their enemies compare in cost to traditional miniatures?

I have not seen anything like this at the conventions (shows) I have attended. Given the previous question, I wonder if LEGOS might be a viable alternative?

I second Jim's assessment.

Chris

Imperial Dave

this is really good. As to doing it, all you need is patience, a good time lapse camera and editing skills (obviously!). My son was doing videos with Lego from around 8 years of age. He put music, speech inserts etc into his animations and got pretty good at it. Its definitely a good way to show a battle assuming you have the Lego for it! :) Lego lends itself to animation because the figures can be articulated very easily, miniatures will be harder (but not impossible) but would need to be quite made from pliable metal
Slingshot Editor

dwkay57

Yes they are good and does raise a question as to whether Lego might prove an option to painting lots of figures? Will certainly give the opportunity for a bit more swapping and flair in creating new or different armies that we can't do with traditional figures.

Could the technique of unit as opposed to individual figure animation be applied to the way we report our battles? With digital imagery we've come quite a way in improving the content of battle write ups, but is there an opportunity to move on even further? I did try with one of my battle reports to do an annotated powerpoint slide set but it exceeded the upload limit for the forums although I did post a cut down version.
David

Chris

I confess to not being aware of  these sets being available through Lego. I wonder, too, if I may be mistaking Play Mobil with Lego?

Would there be a viable market for Lego sets of legions, phalanxes, cataphracts and so forth like Warlord Games has done?

Not having further information (don't know where I would find it anyway), it seems to me that a collection of these figures/figurines would be more expensive than a traditional 28mm army. That said, the incorporation of elephants with fighting platforms and faces with stubble and expressions was impressive.

I haven't taken the time to look at other videos, but there appear to be other conflicts covered by  this approach.

What will we think of next?

I have tried a couple of times to  attach maps and diagrams to my amateurish efforts only to find that the file size is too big. Not that my visuals could even hold  a candle to others, but it would  still be nice to be able to refer to the status of the field as presented on Map A, etc.

Chris