News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Double DBA animated battle report: Rome vs Carthage

Started by Justin Swanton, March 13, 2016, 02:06:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin Swanton

I finally finished the animated battle report of a double DBA game played at the Historical Gaming Group in Durban. Enjoy!

Imperial Dave

really very well done Justin. Gives an exciting overview of a DBA battle
Slingshot Editor

Jim Webster

Erpingham

Good stuff Justin.  As long as you have the basics of DBA, it falls into place very nicely.

BTW, which historical epic does the music come from?

Martin Smith

Excellent animation, Justin. Touch n go all the way....the best games are 'to the wire' !
Martin
Martin
u444

Justin Swanton

Quote from: Erpingham on March 13, 2016, 06:14:57 PM
Good stuff Justin.  As long as you have the basics of DBA, it falls into place very nicely.

BTW, which historical epic does the music come from?

Thanks Anthony (and everyone).

I'm not quite sure where the music comes from. I just typed 'Imperial Roman military music' in YouTube and chose what seemed suitable from the shorter clips. It's all about cheating...

Patrick Waterson

Very well done, Justin: presentation, information flow and activity portrayal are just right.

And you won! ;D
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

Keith McNelly

Across the Table - A Portal to my Historical Miniature Wargaming:
https://thewargamesroom.wordpress.com/

Ancient & Medieval Wargaming:
https://ancientwargaming.wordpress.com/

Chris

Very nice work, this! Though I have little knowledge of the mechanics and procedures, I felt like I was right there in the thick of the action (at the edge of the table).

Has me thinking of working up something involving Romans and Carthaginians . . .

The incorporation of sound effects was a great touch. The "grunting and groaning" of deadly combat really sold it.

Thanks for putting this together and posting it to the forum.

I wonder if something similar could be done with other rule sets?

Cheers,

Chris

Patrick Waterson

Quote from: Chris on March 14, 2016, 10:39:17 AM

I wonder if something similar could be done with other rule sets?

I think Justin has plans, workload permitting ... the good thing with this approach is that one really only needs to show the results, which will show as bases or units moving, changing colour and/or getting numbers or tokens/icons appended.  Hence even if you do not know the rules system being used you can still follow the action, which is usually what matters!
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

Prufrock

Yes, very nice job Justin :) I linked to it on the SoA facebook page yesterday as well.