News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Cataphracts

Started by Mark G, August 22, 2013, 03:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrick Waterson

Quote from: Duncan Head on August 28, 2014, 01:28:10 PM

We don't know that the Seleucids adopted the cataphract from the Parthians, as opposed to from the Graeco-Bactrians (cf the Ai Khanum armoury) or from the Saka or by independent invention; in fact we don't even really know that the Parthians were using cataphracts as early as 200 BC, though the odds must be that they were. Nor do we even have enough evidence for Seleucid cataphracts to be certain that they didn't have bows themselves. So any answer to this question is really more speculative than the evidence allows, in my opinion. But my own take on the most plausible scenario would be that you can stick Graeco-Macedonian and Median xystophoroi into heavier armour far more easily than you can train them to be horse-archers, and the bow was simply not required in their tactical role (which might indeed be why some Parthian cataphracts may not have thought it worth carrying, despite the treason to their nomadic Saka heritage).

That seems eminently reasonable, and I would be content for it to be the last word in the matter given our present state - or lack - of knowledge.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

valentinianvictor