News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

BBC article re more evidence of Vikings in North America

Started by Imperial Dave, April 01, 2016, 07:55:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrick Waterson

Tim has a point, although a geographical discovery is not officially considered to be a discovery until undertaken, and preferably reported, by a European.  The fact that 100 million plus people may already be living there does not count. :)

Incidentally, Child no.2 is in error: Columbus discovered (in the European sense) 'the Americas' but not the American continent.  That discovery (or rediscovery) apparently went to Zuan Chabotto/Giovanni Chabbote (John Cabot) in 1497.  And he may have been checking out a land which had been 'found and discovered in the past' by seamen from the port of Bristol.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

Imperial Dave

Indeed both....

I was trying to educate my child enough to get her interested in Vikings and thus possibly a stint of painting for me

crafty eh?  ;)
Slingshot Editor

Patrick Waterson

A stratagem definitely worth developing, and perhaps less risky than: "What colours do you think would look nice on them?" ;)
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

Imperial Dave

I'll see how she gets on but may apply a devil may care approach!  :)
Slingshot Editor

John GL

Quote from: Patrick Waterson on July 13, 2016, 08:02:29 PM
A stratagem definitely worth developing, and perhaps less risky than: "What colours do you think would look nice on them?" ;)

I have some Minifigs Vikings painted by Mrs G-L when she was at home and bored with being pregnant.  They have fetching shades of gloss lime green, orange, peacock blue, sunshine yellow etc.  She did some Janissaries too, and those lads still see service.

Imperial Dave

Quote from: John GL on July 14, 2016, 12:13:49 AM

I have some Minifigs Vikings painted by Mrs G-L when she was at home and bored with being pregnant.  They have fetching shades of gloss lime green, orange, peacock blue, sunshine yellow etc.  She did some Janissaries too, and those lads still see service.

poor fellas.....  :)
Slingshot Editor

Tim

But imagine the effect upon their enemies who were living in a largely monochrome world...

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Justin Swanton

Quote from: Holly on July 13, 2016, 08:03:04 AM
had a conversation with child no.2 the other day...

her: who was it that discovered America....you know.....erm.....who was it etc?

Me: the Vikings

her: no not them the other one

Me; no really the Vikings

her: after them I mean

Me: Christopher Columbus (sighs)

her: yep that's the one

You could refine it:

She: Daddy, who discovered America?

He: America? Oh, the Red Indians or course, coming from Asia.

She (frown)

He: Sorry, I meant the Native Americans.

She (frown deepens)

He: Oh....um....the Vikings, I meant.

She (pout added to frown)

He (wearily): Fine. Christopher Columbus...

Imperial Dave

Quote from: Justin Swanton on July 15, 2016, 04:52:16 PM
Quote from: Holly on July 13, 2016, 08:03:04 AM
had a conversation with child no.2 the other day...

her: who was it that discovered America....you know.....erm.....who was it etc?

Me: the Vikings

her: no not them the other one

Me; no really the Vikings

her: after them I mean

Me: Christopher Columbus (sighs)

her: yep that's the one

You could refine it:

She: Daddy, who discovered America?

He: America? Oh, the Red Indians or course, coming from Asia.

She (frown)

He: Sorry, I meant the Native Americans.

She (frown deepens)

He: Oh....um....the Vikings, I meant.

She (pout added to frown)

He (wearily): Fine. Christopher Columbus...

pretty close :)
Slingshot Editor

Patrick Waterson

It just shows how there are answers and expected answers: our children end up with a mindset (or 'fact set') almost as rigidly instilled as that of the average mediaeval churchman.

And then they discover wargaming ... without wargaming, my own grasp of history would be even worse than it is now. :)

Imperial Dave

Quote from: Patrick Waterson on July 16, 2016, 10:24:35 AM
It just shows how there are answers and expected answers: our children end up with a mindset (or 'fact set') almost as rigidly instilled as that of the average mediaeval churchman.

And then they discover wargaming ... without wargaming, my own grasp of history would be even worse than it is now. :)

its a very good point Patrick.....I feel the same although I have always had a parallel love of history. Wargaming encourages research and research more often than not improves understanding (apart from Arthurology!). All good stuff :)
Slingshot Editor

Tim

Holly, at least the lessons you have learnt from wargaming mean your Arthurology is dressed Post-Roman rather than like refugees from Agincourt...

Imperial Dave

Quote from: Tim on July 16, 2016, 01:58:18 PM
Holly, at least the lessons you have learnt from wargaming mean your Arthurology is dressed Post-Roman rather than like refugees from Agincourt...

oh absolutely although as a slight aside I once did a Camlann reenactment weekend in Tintagel and ended up facing amongst other things a Sith Lord (dont ask)
Slingshot Editor

Patrick Waterson