News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Sumerian Shields

Started by Orc65, March 17, 2023, 08:30:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orc65

I'm assembling one or more Sumerian armies, and I'm looking at combining figures from different manufacturers. Looking at the different ranges of Sumerian (15mm) figures, I see that Essex, Magister Militum, and Museum Miniatures depict spearmen carrying their own shield, while Eureka miniatures have separate shield bearers wielding an axe. This prompts me to ask the question: What is the general consensus, if there is one, on how Sumerians employed the shield?

Ian61

I had not heard of separate shield bearers. I did some reading on Sumer many years ago now but there are quite a few steps images. The one I had remembered was the Standard of Ur which has no shields with the warriors. A quick check found a stele of Vultures which seems to be the basis of the spotted shields that most manufactures seem to like.
Ian Piper
Norton Fitzwarren, Somerset

Erpingham

You might find this earlier discussion of the Stele of the Vultures useful

http://soa.org.uk/sm/index.php?topic=5934.msg78168

The SotV is the origin of the axe-armed shield bearers, I believe (see right hand of the upper register), though most wargames army I've seen pictured seem to go for the spear armed interpretation.

Ian61

Quote from: Erpingham on March 17, 2023, 09:07:59 AMYou might find this earlier discussion of the Stele of the Vultures useful

http://soa.org.uk/sm/index.php?topic=5934.msg78168

The SotV is the origin of the axe-armed shield bearers, I believe (see right hand of the upper register), though most wargames army I've seen pictured seem to go for the spear armed interpretation.
Well remembered, I can't recall pursuing that thread but I don't see axes myself either, they are surely spearmen.
Ian Piper
Norton Fitzwarren, Somerset

Duncan Head

The reconstruction with an axe-armed shield-bearer preceding some ranks of shieldless spearmen holding their spears in both hands is that favoured by Nigel Tallis in the WRG Armies of the Ancient Near East. (Nigel has said he is working on an updated version, so it will be interesting to see if things change). Personally I think the axeheads at top right are clear - they are roughly cross-shaped, and are above and distinct from the rows of spearheads.

This article from Iraq (2015) comes to a similar conclusion.
Duncan Head

Orc65

Thanks for the replies. That article and the discussion of the Stele of Vultures was helpful. I've already purchased some Eureka 15mm Sumerians, although I have yet to purchase any significant amounts of spearmen and shieldbearers. Not having any Essex, Magister Militum or Museum Miniatures to compare, I'm reduced to judging them by the images on their websites. The Museum Miniatures look clean but way too chunky, compared to Eureka Miniatures' range, so I probably won't use them, although some of the animals and such might make it into my collection. Magister Militum figures seem to just stand the shield on the ground in front of the spearman, which doesn't seem right to me. The non-shield bearing figures look okay, if a bit on the skinny side. I may use some of these. Essex Miniatures' Sumerians look to be pretty close in size and design to the Eureka range, I do have other non-sumerian Essex figures and the height and bulk of the figures looks comparable. Therefore most of Essex's Sumerian range should be compatible with Eureka's Sumerians. So it basically comes down to a decision between Essex Miniatures' spearmen w/shield who are actually carrying the shield, and Eureka Miniatures' shieldbearers w/axe. Given the what I read in the article and discussion I'm leaning towards the Eureka Miniatures' shieldbearers.

Jon Freitag

What is the general consensus on the use of Sumerian shields? You ask a seemingly easy question but not with an easy answer.  The answer involves interpretation and speculation based upon limited evidence.  One could argue for a variety of interpretations.

A few points to consider:
  • Does the SotV artwork depict a realistic, impressionistic, or symbolic representation of battle?
  • Are the shield-bearers and spearmen from the same army or from the same arm (perhaps the shield-bearer is more closely matched to missile troops?)?
  • Is the shield a one-handed or two-handed weapon?

Once you arrive at these answers for yourself, then the pieces (and figures) can fall into place.  Regardless, manufacturers limit your choices and guide your preferences.  As you are the army builder, I suggest using what you wish. 

Anyone with an interest in the period has their interpretation and justification for why they did what they did.  I am no different and have my opinion.