News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Teutoburg Wald refight

Started by Lurkio, September 12, 2014, 11:18:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lurkio

We refought the destruction of Varus' legions yesterday, here the link to the post

http://badwargamers.com/bad/?p=614

Swing by and take a look

thanks
Simon

Patrick Waterson

That is a brilliant set-up for a multi-player participation game: everyone gets to do much the same thing but with a bit of variety here and there and even if one player messes things up badly it does not immediately kill the game for everyone else.

Nice work.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

Imperial Dave

Quote from: Lurkio on September 12, 2014, 11:18:30 AM
We refought the destruction of Varus' legions yesterday, here the link to the post

http://badwargamers.com/bad/?p=614

Swing by and take a look

thanks
Simon

was the date of the refight cooincidence or planned?!!!  :)
Slingshot Editor

Lurkio

Quotewas the date of the refight cooincidence or planned?!!!  :)

when we were looking a few months ago for ideas, it seemed a good idea to aim for this date!

Imperial Dave

Quote from: Lurkio on September 12, 2014, 03:24:47 PM
Quotewas the date of the refight cooincidence or planned?!!!  :)

when we were looking a few months ago for ideas, it seemed a good idea to aim for this date!

made me do a double take when I saw the post  :)

nice refight by the way although I wouldnt like to be the Romans!
Slingshot Editor

Duncan Head

Did you include the Kalkriese earthworks, decide they didn't matter, or believe that Kalkriese isn't the site?
Duncan Head

Lurkio

QuoteDid you include the Kalkriese earthworks, decide they didn't matter, or believe that Kalkriese isn't the site

they were part of a larger plan. During preparation I have planned multiple simultaneous games, including the passing of earthworks (which is why I was asking about Roman Testudo earlier) , and the Felsenfeld attack and Vala's ambush by the Cheruscan cavalry... it ended up with massive scope creep  :o ... so given we only had 3 hours I decided to keep it punchy. Better to play to completion and get a debrief in the pub afterwards!

If it was deemed a success these thing may yet come  :)

Chris

Very nice! Thanks for posting the link.

I am tempted to add this to my list of actions to try . . . I wonder what would be the result with a different set of rules?

As a solo wargamer, I am sure I could devise  some table(s) or something to reflect command and control problems. I seriously doubt if I could put together a table than long, however.

Again, a very nice report. Liked the humor at the end.

Thanks,

Chris