News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Sumerians Take to the Field

Started by Jon Freitag, September 04, 2022, 01:05:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon Freitag

One year after beginning a Sumerian project in 28mm, my armies finally take to the field in their maiden battle.

Game was played on a hex grid using my variant of Basic Impetvs.

Perhaps not surprising, my army went down in inglorious defeat.  To see the details of my setback and this gridded action, please visit,
https://palousewargamingjournal.blogspot.com/2022/09/sumerian-first-game.html
for the full battle report.

gavindbm

Great looking game - both table and especially the armies.

Justin Swanton

I enjoyed the AAR. And I love the Sumerians.

Jon Freitag

Thank you, Gavin and Justin!  Much appreciated.

simonw

The only problem with Sumerians is that you need 2 armies if you are going to fight within period! When using Tactica 2 rules, that's a significant commitment! My Sumerian 'project' is about 6 years old already and still going.  :)

Jon Freitag

I reached critical mass and have enough figures to field two, almost identical armies.  Once I clear the gaming table, I will put this collection out for a parade.

simonw

simonw

John,

I find that I have been going back in time steadily in recent years. Next stop will be dinosaurs! Or am I there already?  ;D
Good luck with the Sumerian project. It looks great so far.
Cheers
Si

P.S. For my 2 armies, I have one which I consider to be 'fringe' with a large Gutian component and the other which is more 'civilised' with more Battlecars and Militia Spearmen etc.

Mark G

There was a Sumerian city found recently, too I think I saw.
Did we get the story linked here at all?

Duncan Head

Duncan Head

Mark G

simonw

Chris

Impressive number of chariots there, Simon. I don't believe that I have ever gone that far back in time . . .
Hittites vs Egyptians is as far as I've gone, if memory serves.

Liked the command stand/unit, although I worry about his survival, given his exposure to enemy volleys of arrows and or directed javelins!

Cheers,
Chris

simonw

Cheers Chris. Just reading about Ghaznavids now!  :)