News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Byzantines vs Egyptians

Started by Chris, December 22, 2022, 10:10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris

Gentlemen and other interested individuals,

A one-off, "holiday" or "end of year" scenario was staged featuring Thematic Byzantines and Early New Kingdom Egyptians.

Anachronistic and counterfactual, to be sure. But even so . . .

Here is the link for those who might want to invest the time to read and possibly offer a comment or two:

https://nopaintingrequired.blogspot.com/search/label/Incongruous%20Interlude

Again, any errors of grammar, in spelling or with the format are entirely my own.

Thanks in advance & happy and healthy holidays to you and yours.  :)

Cheers,
Chris

Imperial Dave

yet another great appraisal and battle report
Slingshot Editor

Erpingham

Liked the use of maps in this one, Chris.  Also, the appearance of the word "hiccough"  :)

On the abandoning card counters for figures for better aesthetics, I think it would cramp your style.  Unless you win your state lottery, I can't see you being able to create all the armies you'd like even in 6mm.  My half-way house would be to go for a more aesthetic counter design based on generics with the distinctions on the labels, as now.  Justin has used this to effect in the past using his own designs but I'm sure designs exist out there for downloading (others may wish make suggestions).

I've also commented on the blog.

Wishing you a Merry Christmas and a happy and successful New Year (I thought you might appreciate a traditional British greeting to match your American one :) )

dwkay57

It has taken me 15 years to get 7,000 6mm figures painted Chris, so you could do it but beware of the challenge given the size and range of battles you like to fight! Also given your use of different rules, you might need some interesting basing ideas.

The Dreaded's idea of using picture based counters may be a better approach for you. If you search cardboard ancient armies you get some useful results and images.

Best wishes for a Merry Christmas and the New Year.

David

Imperial Dave

Wofun is also possible although they only currently do down to 10mm

hmmmmm....... ;D
Slingshot Editor

Erpingham

Quote from: Holly on December 24, 2022, 09:31:55 AM

hmmmmm....... ;D

Assembling all the armies you need to do a Chris would be tough with Wofun.  They aren't cheap and they lack the width of ranges for C to have the stock in hand to choose his favoured novel match ups.

Erpingham

QuoteThe Dreaded's idea ...

I feel like a character in Blazing Saddles " It's Hedley Lamarr, not Hedy!"  Dread makes me sound cool, like the Dread Pirate Roberts, dreaded just makes me sound like the lurgy.

Imperial Dave

Quote from: Erpingham on December 24, 2022, 11:18:26 AM
Quote from: Holly on December 24, 2022, 09:31:55 AM

hmmmmm....... ;D

Assembling all the armies you need to do a Chris would be tough with Wofun.  They aren't cheap and they lack the width of ranges for C to have the stock in hand to choose his favoured novel match ups.

oh no lordy they arent cheap but they are quick to table
Slingshot Editor

Chris

Responding in order received:

DH (Editor Imperator) - thanks for taking the time to read and to compliment. Cheers.

AC - appreciate the comment about the maps . . . Would like to imitate the diagrams seen on other posts, but do not have the hardware or software, I am afraid. There also seems to be some limitations with the blog structure. (Ideally, would like the presentation field to be wider than it currently is. A lot of my screen is taken up by the background selection.) "Hiccough" or "hiccup" . . . it's a choice. Somewhat similar to the "ketchup" or "catsup" or another variation question. Style? I have a style?!  ;) The "experimentation" continues with ways to depict or represent the "tiny ancient soldiers and so forth." In some respects, this approach might come closer to better representing the depth issue . . . Will continue to look around though. Thanks for commenting on blog. I have replied. Cheers.

DK - 7,000?! That's quite a number! Are you finished collecting or do you intend to add until you reach the 10,000 milestone? There might be something to said for going on a diet - that is, limiting the size of my tabletop contests . . . Then again, perhaps I should branch out and consider writing about more general/specific topics than just battle reports? Cheers.

I have bookmarked the WoFun site and will, on occasion, click on it and browse and create mental lists of the armies I should like to have . . . I wonder what the next step in wargaming evolution will be then? Traditional lead figures back to plastics, then top-down representations and or Dennis paper soldiers and now WoFun plexiglass or plastic . . .

Thanks again to all, and best wished for the coming New Year!

Chris

Imperial Dave

Still tempted by the wofun to experiment with
Slingshot Editor

dwkay57

I think a lot of wargamers would say "7,000 is that all?" Chris.

I've no target for the number of figures just some armies I'd like to complete before I hang up my paintbrush in about 10 years time. Hopefully by then I'll have unfettered access to a Hahn sized table so will concentrate on using them.
David

Chris

Cheers, David.

Yes, yes . . . some of us wargamers can be a bit like that with regard to size. (Size of figures, size of tabletop, size of collection, etc.)

As with most things, there are advantages and disadvantages to a larger tabletop. (My current concern/aggravation is that, being in two parts, there tends to be a bit of a gap or slight height difference between the two pieces. Some of us wargamers can be or lean toward perfectionists, too.)

Having read the review in the latest issue of SLINGSHOT (and having seen some other stuff online), it appears that I could stage very large battles (if slightly restricted by period) using those 2mm figures or available cards representing same.

Hmmm . . .

Chris