News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Possible Vesuvius rescuer identified

Started by DBS, May 11, 2021, 05:33:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DBS

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-57055163

Suggestions that one of the Herculaneum skeletons is an engineer or senior officer (archaeologists arguing for both...) from Pliny's fleet.
David Stevens

Duncan Head

If he's a rescuer, why has he gone into the town carrying his carpentry toolbag? I always thought it seemed likely that he was trying to get away, and that he'd grabbed his savings and his valuable tools on the way.
Duncan Head

DBS

Indeed - and as I say, claiming he is a senior officer, because he has a full purse, but also an engineer.  Hmmm.

I am just waiting for one of the archaeologists to mutter, "He might even be Pliny the Elder.  I am incidentally available for speculative and overdramatised TV documentaries and please make project funding cheques payable to..."
David Stevens

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Swampster

Quote from: Duncan Head on May 11, 2021, 05:42:35 PM
If he's a rescuer, why has he gone into the town carrying his carpentry toolbag? I always thought it seemed likely that he was trying to get away, and that he'd grabbed his savings and his valuable tools on the way.
Perhaps worried that there will be collapses or needing to cut away other boats to get access to the pier?
I'm more intrigued by the mix of tools and fancy sword. I'm inclined to think this also points to an officer pitching in with the rescue than an escaping carpenter.

Chuck the Grey

Might he have been a retired soldier fleeing the disaster? That would explain the sword. He might have been working as a craftsman in retirement. That would explain the bag of tools. If he was frugal, that explains the amount of money.

Of course he could have been a looter and karma caught up with him.

Imperial Dave

household slave told to take the valuables to the beach?
Slingshot Editor

Erpingham

Quote from: Holly on May 12, 2021, 08:09:22 AM
household slave told to take the valuables to the beach?

And take his master's best dress sword for protection?

Imperial Dave

why not? a sword for parade and a sword for everyday? or did he just load him up with heirlooms and cash and told him to get them away from the town
Slingshot Editor