News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Starting New Armies/Projects

Started by club, July 08, 2022, 09:05:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Imperial Dave

Quote from: Anton on July 09, 2022, 12:26:06 PM
Sometimes it is because the toys look good, mostly it is books.  Then it's major research and buying.  Closely followed by project creep and repeat the cycle.

I think I have about 4 abandoned or dormant projects, not too bad.  Only 2 of them in our period.

I'm guessing we all more or less doing similar things.  Isn't it fun.

pretty much ditto  :D
Slingshot Editor

Jim Webster

Quote from: Duncan Head on July 09, 2022, 12:39:41 PM
I'm currently wondering about what army to build next - once I've finished off a couple of "unit-sized sub-projects" that are hanging around. My starting-point has been "what's in the lead-pile". Though of course the contents of the lead-pile were influenced by existing interests, mostly ultimately from reading. And then there is "what do we need for the next Battleday", which does mesh nicely with the Greeks in the leadpile - though in fact I think the group may have enough hoplites and so forth between us to do Mantineia anyway.

Is that at a scale of one figure equals one man ?    ;)

Duncan Head

Quote from: Jim Webster on July 09, 2022, 05:58:46 PM
Quote from: Duncan Head on July 09, 2022, 12:39:41 PM
I'm currently wondering about what army to build next - once I've finished off a couple of "unit-sized sub-projects" that are hanging around. My starting-point has been "what's in the lead-pile". Though of course the contents of the lead-pile were influenced by existing interests, mostly ultimately from reading. And then there is "what do we need for the next Battleday", which does mesh nicely with the Greeks in the leadpile - though in fact I think the group may have enough hoplites and so forth between us to do Mantineia anyway.

Is that at a scale of one figure equals one man ?    ;)
And one of them will ge called Aischines....
Duncan Head

club

It seems that my "unit sized sub projects" always turn into "army sized projects" on accident!

I notice many mention outside sources such as their gaming club or an upcoming tournament as cause to start or finish a new project. Whether it's my lack of overall experience or time in the hobby, I haven't attended  a single tournament or found a historical gaming group near me. So, inevitability, I end up having to also buy an opponent for whatever force I'm interested in (in order to have an army for a friend to use), along with what rule systems work best for said armies, and then I find myself with way more than I can chew. Which is where I'm at now, a bunch of small groups of painted miniatures without a single painted up (full) force!

Hoping either finding a gaming group or tournament could help fix my (what feels like) ADHD when it comes to painting and collecting. Or, maybe this new project on the late Hundred Years War will keep my attention long enough to be able to do something with it!

Erpingham

QuoteHoping either finding a gaming group or tournament could help fix my (what feels like) ADHD when it comes to painting and collecting.

The tournament thing doesn't work for everyone.  If your interest in in certain periods of history, being constrained to generate armies for a theme may make the process more of a chore than you would like.  That said, as people have commented earlier, it can be a great driver if that's the way you roll.  Likewise, a club setting may find yourself unable to pursue a rule or period you fancy because the club are invested in something else.

Now, I'm not a person who creates new armies often, so I don't have a lot to say on the subject except to observe that rulesets like DBA, with their limited size, have enable a lot of the diversity.  It is possible to put together an army to theme in short order, or to have something on-table in weeks not months.  DBA also has scaleability - BBDBA, DBMM - if you want to expand the collection.  Not to focus on DBA exclusively - there are other systems that fit the smaller armies model like ADLG, Neil Thomas' various rules, Portable Wargame and so on.

QuoteOr, maybe this new project on the late Hundred Years War will keep my attention long enough to be able to do something with it!

I hope so - it would be good to have some more HYW interest on the forum :) 

Martin Smith

Quote from: club on July 10, 2022, 05:00:05 AM
It seems that my "unit sized sub projects" always turn into "army sized projects" on accident!
>
Which is where I'm at now, a bunch of small groups of painted miniatures without a single painted up (full) force!

Hoping either finding a gaming group or tournament could help fix my (what feels like) ADHD when it comes to painting and collecting. Or, maybe this new project on the late Hundred Years War will keep my attention long enough to be able to do something with it!

I notice DBA on your 'likes' list, left side of posts....if you're UK based there are large number of DBA tournaments about to pick from, and they're a great introduction to tournament gaming... friendly players, and five or six games in a session. Ideal way to learn a few rules and get a feel for how others play. I've been going to UK DBA do's since about 2005, and they're a really good prompt to get a small army up together.
Martin
u444

Ade G

I have some areas of interest that I float around and add to. What rules we are playing at the club can lead to a new army collection. The Second Edition of Lion Rampant is due out next month so we are looking at the First Crusades which means some new toys.

Doing demo games is usually the driver for new armies.

Books are a major influence on those "dream" projects that sit at the back of my mind for years (a campaign for post-Roman Britain, a demo of Campus Mauriacus in 6mm)

A new range of figures is certainly a catalyst as well,

I am looking to get back into competition play (ADLG 25mm) which will mean a new army a year to cover themed events - looking at Komnenans for next year

Jim Webster

Quote from: Ade G on July 17, 2022, 12:58:49 PM
Books are a major influence on those "dream" projects that sit at the back of my mind for years (a campaign for post-Roman Britain, )

I thin the post Roman Britain campaign must be a recurring dream. I think over years I've got DBA armies for everybody but the Irish  :D

We have done bits and bobs over the years. But not yet done 'a big one' covering say forty or fifty years  :)

Imperial Dave

Quote from: Jim Webster on July 17, 2022, 02:25:32 PM
Books are a major influence on those "dream" projects that sit at the back of my mind for years (a campaign for post-Roman Britain, )

I thin the post Roman Britain campaign must be a recurring dream. I think over years I've got DBA armies for everybody but the Irish  :D

We have done bits and bobs over the years. But not yet done 'a big one' covering say forty or fifty years  :)

I have everything AND the Irish :)
Slingshot Editor

DougM

Quote from: Holly on July 17, 2022, 02:48:41 PM
Quote from: Jim Webster on July 17, 2022, 02:25:32 PM

I have everything AND the Irish :)

If you want a relatively pain free post Roman campaign, then Dux Britanniarum does that 'off the shelf".
"Let the great gods Mithra and Ahura help us, when the swords are loudly clashing, when the nostrils of the horses are a tremble,...  when the strings of the bows are whistling and sending off sharp arrows."  http://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/

Imperial Dave

I have pondered it Doug, I have pondered it.......

::)
Slingshot Editor

DougM

"Let the great gods Mithra and Ahura help us, when the swords are loudly clashing, when the nostrils of the horses are a tremble,...  when the strings of the bows are whistling and sending off sharp arrows."  http://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

DougM

Quote from: Holly on July 18, 2022, 03:17:38 PM
not anymore there isnt.....

My cunning plan worked then...  seriously, even if you hate the rules yhe maps are nice...

Imperial Dave

I'm a sucker for nice maps and suchlike

;D
Slingshot Editor