News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

later kite/ almond shield designs

Started by simmo, July 31, 2022, 03:18:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

simmo

I'm painting up a number of 15mm Essex Knights 1200-1350 AD which have Kite shields.  I suspect these are a little late for the period. They're going to be in a Florentine army about 1260. I've got the Montaperti diorama book by Marion Denturi which has a great number of heater shield designs which I'm thinking can be translated on to Kite shape. Any thoughts on later Kite shield  designs would be appreciated.

Ian61

Quote from: simmo on July 31, 2022, 03:18:57 PM
I'm painting up a number of 15mm Essex Knights 1200-1350 AD which have Kite shields.  I suspect these are a little late for the period. They're going to be in a Florentine army about 1260. I've got the Montaperti diorama book by Marion Denturi which has a great number of heater shield designs which I'm thinking can be translated on to Kite shape. Any thoughts on later Kite shield  designs would be appreciated.
Sorry I won't be much help as I don't really do that period but I have now learnt what a heater shield is - you live and you learn.
As a chemist I suspect you will be using a lot of reds and yellows along side black and white - however I suggest you do not use that periods lead based paints!
Ian Piper
Norton Fitzwarren, Somerset

Erpingham

I suspect that the Italians of 1260 had pretty much shifted to heater shields.  Italian heraldry did preserve the almond shield though and standard heraldic designs could be painted on them e.g these Sienese ones

Swampster

I have converted some almond shields into heaters on some figures.

There are various period art works showing shields this shape, but often showing anachronistic images e.g. https://manuscriptminiatures.com/4165/7775#image from "Histoire ancienne jusq'à César"
There are some almond shields with rounded bottom in the Manesse Codex being carried by Italian infantry. Some of the devices are obscured, one is a (possible) Florentine lily (though yellow field).

Erpingham shows how the almond shields could show the heraldry - the same shape crops up in carvings too. Later on, full ovals were used - FWIW, there are examples if you do a google search for Stemmi Toscani.

It is various things like this that steer me away from Essex medievals!

simmo

Thanks Anthony and Peter for taking time to answer my post. Some great and useful images there.
Martyn