News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Ptolemaic Bedouin garrison and border guard

Started by Tim, December 22, 2021, 06:48:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim

Its because I am a wargamer, alright...

I have a rather large 15mm Ptolemaic that I have never actually had on the table as Ptolemaic... so what do I do, consider how I can expand it even further. The latest DBMM list has an option for Bedouin garrisons and border guards. Anyone know what they would look like? (Checked AMPW but no luck there.)

Duncan Head

And I haven't discovered anything since AMPW; I think they are known only through mentions in papyri.

I would probably look for something in a simple tunic, bare-headed with javelins and a state-issued round shield or thureos.
Duncan Head

Tim

Duncan, thank you. That gives me enough to work with.

shaun holdsworth

were there also Jewish border guards / police in other lists to add to your woes

Tim

The actual line is 'Egyptian, Bedouin or Jewish garrisons and border guards'. Not sure about other lists.

Duncan Head

I'd forgotten that they could be Egyptian - so there is always this painting as a source of inspiration. (Some discussion at http://soa.org.uk/sm/index.php?topic=346.0)
Duncan Head

Jim Webster

Quote from: Tim on December 24, 2021, 03:57:08 PM
The actual line is 'Egyptian, Bedouin or Jewish garrisons and border guards'. Not sure about other lists.

If they'd intermarried as quickly as the Macedonians did, they could well be very similar to Egyptians. The Jews tended to keep themselves a bit separate but even so I cannot see them having a traditional dress or military equipment they clung to.