News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Animated Battle Reports

Started by Justin Swanton, January 28, 2016, 01:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin Swanton

I've been toying with the idea for some time of doing a few animated battle reports ('few' because they are quite a bit of work). Ideally from games by SoA members and posted on the SoA account on Youtube.

For this to work I would need in-focus pictures of a game. Every turn needs to be photographed (once for each player's moves). The photos must show all 4 corners of the battlefield and I would need to know the battlefield's dimensions.

Is anyone willing to supply pics for this noble venture? They should come with a commentary that gives the players' initial battle plans, tactical coups and mid-battle improvisations. They could also illustrate how the ruleset employed for the game works. Over the next year or so I would post, say, 3 - 4 on Youtube, depending on my other commitments.

Here's a link to a YouTube AAR I posted a year or so ago, just to give an idea (quite a few infractions of DBA rules, I know).

What say?

dwkay57

What quality would the photos need to be in terms of the detail? I take some overall shots of most of the battles I fight (like the initial ones in my battle reports) but I don't know if they would show sufficient detail.

Alternatively as my terrain is all hex based I could supply diagrams to support the photos.
David

Justin Swanton

Quote from: dwkay57 on February 01, 2016, 05:22:58 PM
What quality would the photos need to be in terms of the detail? I take some overall shots of most of the battles I fight (like the initial ones in my battle reports) but I don't know if they would show sufficient detail.

Alternatively as my terrain is all hex based I could supply diagrams to support the photos.

Enough detail so I can make out the individual bases and what they are would be fine. If the movement system is hex based then it becomes much easier - I just need to know which bases are in which hexes at any given moment in the game. Email me one or two photographed games and I'll tell you if I need anything extra.

Prufrock

Would vassal screenshots work, Justin? If so, Lost Battles would be a candidate, as would Commands & Colors: Ancients. A CCA report could be great publicity because it's still a very popular game.

Justin Swanton

Quote from: Prufrock on February 22, 2016, 04:07:57 PM
Would vassal screenshots work, Justin? If so, Lost Battles would be a candidate, as would Commands & Colors: Ancients. A CCA report could be great publicity because it's still a very popular game.

Vassal screenshots are fine. Lost Battles is actually a good option as there are relatively few manoeuvring elements, which speeds up video production - each entity that moves separately has to have a separate layer in Flash. The fewer the layers the quicker animation becomes.

Also anything with a grid is easier - I don't have to worry about movement and positional precision quite so much.