News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Rome vs Carthage: a wild see-saw battle with Optio

Started by Justin Swanton, March 13, 2023, 06:15:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin Swanton

Hi chaps. It's been a while, I know. I've been concentrating on getting Optio ready for publication which means lots of playtesting and tweaking. Here's a battle report of the latest game with my playtester, Peter, who narrowly won after some pretty extreme see-sawing that saw him an inch from routing himself. Peter played Carthage, yours truly Rome. Enjoy!

Imperial Dave

hopefully dice will make it into the last version  :)
Slingshot Editor

Justin Swanton

Quote from: Imperial Dave on March 13, 2023, 06:19:45 PMhopefully dice will make it into the last version  :)

Of course. Each player gets a rubber squeegee die to squeeze on, for therapy. "This is a wargame!"

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

dwkay57

Interesting - the Carthagians always seem to sneak in a victory somehow.

Do like the pre-battle maps and movements - I must do something similar myself!
David

Justin Swanton

Quote from: dwkay57 on March 15, 2023, 09:04:33 AMInteresting - the Carthagians always seem to sneak in a victory somehow.

Do like the pre-battle maps and movements - I must do something similar myself!

I find the prebattle terrain game the easiest and funnest way of generating terrain. It's done in 5 minutes without all the fussy and arbitrary throwing of dice to put a hill here and a forest there. The two players tend to choose a battlefield that doesn't decisively favour either - unless one player surprises the army of another on terrain that suits the first.

You'll need ferrite magnets to create it. Want to know more?

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

dwkay57

It's more the creation / provision of the maps that I'm really interested in (being a bit lazy and not a geographer) Justin. You did explain the mechanics a while back and I'm not sure how they would work in a solo game.
David

Justin Swanton

Quote from: dwkay57 on March 17, 2023, 09:18:17 AMIt's more the creation / provision of the maps that I'm really interested in (being a bit lazy and not a geographer) Justin. You did explain the mechanics a while back and I'm not sure how they would work in a solo game.

Probably not very well. The idea is to have a certain amount of fog of war. Each player has 5 blocks, and one player doesn't know which block of his opponent is his army until either his scout spots it or his army bumps into it. I have another pre-battle terrain game which doesn't use fog or war. That would work for solo play.

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Justin Swanton

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor