News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Early Welsh shield designs

Started by Imperial Dave, April 15, 2014, 08:42:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Imperial Dave

Much in line with other threads on shield designs....

Am looking for a bit of guidance or at least best guesses on shield designs for early Welsh forces. I am talking about post "sub-roman" period so really speaking not continuation of late roman (Notitia Dignitatum) designs unless anyone has any strong thoughts on why they might continue into the 6th and 7th Centuries...?

I have a mind to adopt the obvious chi-rho designs with some animal representations and possibly some Irish influences

Thoughts good people?
Slingshot Editor

Patrick Waterson

Alas I can only guess but would suggest not neglecting the humble dragon.

It is perhaps possible that later designs, extant during the Norman period, may have earlier roots (again a guess so do not bet the figure collection on it).
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

Duncan Head

There's a three-part series by Paul Walsh in Slingshot issues 146-8. The last part gives evidence for shields from Welsh epics; gold-chased, blue enamelled, yellow, white, but no designs except that one is "gold-chased with a bar of azure enamel", which could be a design but may mean the handle.
Duncan Head

Imperial Dave

thanks Patrick, when all else fails, a dragon or draco motif is a good option  :)

thanks for the prompt re the Slingshot article Duncan much appreciated. I should have used the search function on the DVD from the off!
Slingshot Editor

aligern

Cross for church, plain for chapel boyo!
Roy

Imperial Dave

Thanks Roy that did make me smile and its true we call it Chapel over here :)
Slingshot Editor

Erpingham

Are we sure they carried elaborate designs at all?  The Gododdin mentions shields a lot but the only decoration appears to be that they are white.  Some comments might be construed as gold decoration.  The white may be limewash - there is a slightly later Irish poem that talks of the clouds of dust coming from the lime-washed shields as they are battered to bits.

The fashion for enormously complex shield designs seems to be a plot by transfer makers.  Most images of early medieval shields seem to show solid coloured or parti-coloured.  We know from archaeology that some early shields had thin metal decoration (e.g. Sutton Hoo, some Vendel shields) - that might be plausible on some elite shields. 

Imperial Dave

Thanks Anthony and a good point re simple shield coverings. I am just not sure hence the question. In terms of my painting, white shields with little design would be easier! The odd Chi Rho might be in order for some of these shields
Slingshot Editor