News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Antigonas Monopthalmos

Started by Martin Smith, April 21, 2014, 12:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin Smith

I've offered a friend a loan Successor army for a competition, and he specified that of Antigonas, which in the DBA lists is the only one with a Pike element general. Therefore I'm having to paint up an element to fill the role.
Couple of daft questions:-
Any idea on colour schemes/shield designs for Antigonas and his immediate bodyguard troops?
Any suggestions for a logo/design on a 'vexillum'-type standard (which I've plumped for, due limited other ideas)?
Might he have worn an eye-patch (would this have been a 'norm' in the ancient world?)?
Any help appreciated.
Martin
Martin
u444

Patrick Waterson

Just to start the ball rolling ...

I do not think eyepatches were worn: Philip II lost an eye but I do not recall any reference to keeping it covered; such an act would anyway run counter to what I understand of Hellenic and Hellenistic culture, in which wounds tended to be proudly displayed rather than kept hidden.

I suggest just painting one eye.  ;)

The big question is whether he would have departed from the Macedonian sun ray motif of the Argead Dynasty - he was of course not a member, but he was trying to represent himself as the real ruler of Macedon.  Alas I cannot answer this one.

[Edit: amended 'woulds' to 'wounds'.]
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

Duncan Head

Like a number of the successors he still minted coins with Alexander's name so no useful devices there. This coin of a later Antigonos has what is identified as an "ANTI" monogram - you could use that on a standard.
Duncan Head

Sarissa336

I'm basically with Duncan on this one. No evidence of eye patches. No real evidence of shield and standard emblems for Antigonus.

There are fragments of bronze shields purporting to come from the reigns of his son, Demetrius Poliorcetes and grandson, Antigonus Gonatas. These have the common eight-pointed star/sunburst motif with surrounding crescentric patterns. If you follow this logic then perhaps standards were the same - with star/sunbursts (?)

Martin Smith

Many thanks for all the replies . Now just need the time to get the brushes out. ::)
Martin
Martin
u444