News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Biographies of Julian?

Started by Ade G, January 02, 2022, 09:34:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ade G

Any recommendations for a biography of Julian?
Having just read "The Nisibis War" I realise that he is a far more interesting character than "the Apostate" denotes.
The only reasonably modern one seems to be the Ricciotti translation?

DBS

No helpful recommendation I fear, simply to quote Michael Kulikowski: "The emperor Julian is a source of endless fascination to scholars, not least because his brooding narcissism speaks directly to many academics."  :o
David Stevens

Ade G

Quote from: DBS on January 02, 2022, 10:16:57 AM
No helpful recommendation I fear, simply to quote Michael Kulikowski: "The emperor Julian is a source of endless fascination to scholars, not least because his brooding narcissism speaks directly to many academics."  :o

Hahahhaaa! Thank goodness I am not an academic then!
I was more interested in his philosophical strategies as the little I have read about them has piqued my interest

Duncan Head

The one in my biographies-of-emperors collection is Bowersock's Julian the Apostate - originally 1978 or so, though the link is to a 1997 reprint. Obviously dated, and a relatively slim volume, but still a sound introduction.

I've not read more recent works so am not sure what to recommend - maybe Murdoch?

Gore Vidal's novel is of course indispensable.
Duncan Head

DBS

Interestingly, Kulikowski still rates Bowestock as a general biography, and picks out Polymnia Athanassiadi-Fowden for the intellectual and philisophical aspects.
David Stevens

aligern

I think Lendon's Soldiers and Ghosts has some interesting stuff on Julian's Homeric models as guides to his actions. 
Roy

Ade G