News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Early Korean lacquered "shining armour" found

Started by Duncan Head, August 14, 2012, 04:43:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duncan Head

An interesting find from last year is reported at http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~ekp/news/20111012-KongsanArmor.html.

It is lacquered leather lamellae apparently of the type called "shining armour", dated to 645 AD by a Chinese inscription.

cheers,
Duncan
Duncan Head

Patrick Waterson

And the first ever found, it seems, plus it is in amazingly good condition.

Patrick
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

Jim Webster

I suppose leather, in waterlogged soil, with no oxygen, will probably outlast steel

Jim

tadamson

The lacquer has blackened with time though.  Reconstructions give a sort of dark bronze colour, very pretty for troops.

Tom..

Duncan Head

I did wonder if that was the original shade. Are any of the colour reconstructions online?
Duncan Head

tadamson

Duncan Head

Interesting, thanks.

Incidentally, I noticed that the Paekche "shining armour" is mentioned in Schafer's Golden Peaches of Samarkand,  where he implies it is brightly-polished iron armour. I suppose that's the most natural interpretation until the stuff actually turns up, made of leather!
Duncan Head