News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Alexander II of Epirus takes on the Romans

Started by Prufrock, February 24, 2014, 08:59:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prufrock

Here's a report of a Lost Battles game I got through today, based on a scenario from a member of the LB group.

http://prufrockian-gleanings.blogspot.jp/2014/02/alexander-ii-of-epirus-in-italy.html

A bloody battle, and one that would have seen much hurling of roof tiles, no doubt!

Cheers,
Aaron

Patrick Waterson

This contest between an Epirot and a Roman army went very like the way the Lost Battles Asculum scenario tends to go: the Roman cavalry were (grudgingly) beaten, the Roman infantry outmatched and the affair decided once the Epirote cavalry got round the Roman flanks.

The Lost Battles OB and terrain were drawn up (by Aaron, no less) from a DBMM scenario offered by Carolyne Kershaw from her Empire-with-DBMM Successors campaign.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

Imperial Dave

Looks magnificent Aaron. (What I wouldnt give to have a table that size! :) )

A great battle and a resounding result for Alexander!
Slingshot Editor

Prufrock

Thanks for reminding me of the correct way to spell Carolyne's name, Patrick!  The Romans were one up in army fighting values in this game, so they had a slight advantage in theory even if it didn't translate into practice.  Terrain worked against them, as did having only one general. 

It was a nice way to come up with a scenario.

Dave, regarding the table, I felt it was essential for our students that we got something that could be expanded to 6' x 4'6   ;)

Cheers,
Aaron