News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Was the Spartan hoplite recognizable?

Started by RobertGargan, September 04, 2016, 02:27:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrick Waterson

Quote from: Yin Shao Loong on November 08, 2016, 09:48:21 AM
Was there any subsequent response to this?

Having checked as far as issue 95 on the basis that if people have not repsonded within six months they are not going to respond at all, the only reaction seems to be from the editor's comment in Bramwell Adams' article; this points to the 'LA' monogram for Larissa on p.29 of the same issue, which appears on a coin of Jason of Pherae, indicating that the 'baseless triangle' form of lambda we know had reached even the semi-barbarous Thessalians by the 4th century BC.

The 'Cadmeian alphabet' shown in the alphabet bowl image has a number of differences from the Greek norm, gamma being like the later lambda, an 'H' added between eta and theta, nu being like the Roman letter 'N', upsilon being like the later nu and xi being out of sequence (between upsilon and phi instead of being between nu and omicron).  Whether this would have been reflected in 5th century shield patterns is questionable: it would seem more likely they would reflect whatever version of the alphabet Herodotus was using.

So - next question: do any of our more scholarly members know which version of the Greek alphabet Herodotus was using?
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

Duncan Head

Herodotos is probably a red herring here as differences were regional as much as chronological, and a Halikarnassian working in Athens wouldn't necessarily use the same letter forms as a Spartan. This was, I think, the weakness in Adams' original suggestion.

Quote from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archaic_Greek_alphabetsThe letters Γ and Λ had multiple different forms that could often be confused with each other, as both are just an angle shape that could occur in various positions. ... L-like shapes of Λ were particularly common in Euboea, Attica and Boeotia.

Early Spartan inscriptions are not plentiful but here is a discussion of a Lakonian inscription dated c.550-525 which already has the familiar "upright" lambda. So if the Spartans were using the lambda early on, it would probably be the form that we are used to.
Duncan Head

Patrick Waterson

Excellent point, Duncan: this looks to me like good evidence.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

Darthvegeta800

Quote from: RobertGargan on September 04, 2016, 02:27:35 PM
Was the later Spartan hoplite (Peloponnesian wars onwards) distinguishable from other hoplites?  I want to paint a 28mm Spartan army but I am filled with doubt as to whether they wore a crimson tunic, body armour, a pilos-style helmet or their shields even displayed the legendary lambda?  The latest Osprey book, Pylos and Sphacteria, written by William Shepherd, depicts the majority of hoplites wearing the crimson exomis tunic and no body armour.  I cannot find any evidence depicting a later hoplite from Lakedaimon – or identified as such.   Although I could work on the premise it is a matter of opinion as "no-one knows" I am interested in historical accuracy and would welcome advice from members of the forum.

Robert Gargan

Debatable.
I'm of the opinion they certainly were later on. (but when and how much is a debate in itself)
There was mention of the lambda entering rotation (but this is post the popular Persian Wars era)
We tend to assume they favored red as we know they purposely went for more uniformity than the other Greek City states. So the army should have a more uniform look HOWEVER that too is somewhat debatable as the 'uniform' look is rather vague. The crimson cloak they got 'may' have been donned but it is unlikely.
Somewhere halfway their conflict with Athens they seem to have opted for a less armored kit to allow mobility. For a while during this period you could definitely depict them as different but I've read theories that indicated others followed suit.
And other theories which I find believable that not everyone ran around low armoured on the Spartan side.
To boot post Persian Wars I feel you can get away giving some of your miniatures the more classic armor due to the fact Sparta was not wealthy in a traditional sense and the conservatism of the Spartans.

With my Spartans I just went with classic look, red and something practical for wargaming purposes.
I opted for armor because I feel for most of their existence they seem to have been decently even heavily armored.
I went for red as it is the color most associated with them and may be indeed integral to the supposedly (but relative) more uniform look they had.

The easiest period to have 'right' is probably pre and during Persian Wars.
The Spartans seem to have been quite indistinguishable from normal hoplites.
Other Greeks identified them easily enough and they seem to not yet have felt the need to 'cultivate' their reputation as a weapon of war in itself.
So if you opt for that period, go for a classic early hoplite with a touch of red as the unifying color and a variety of shield designs.
I would opt for beards and long hair though. Which already seems to have been a very Spartan thing.

But I think you can get away with a lot depending on the period you go for.
Regretfully our sources on Sparta tend to be contradictory, one sided and open for interpretation.
Probably not much help, but I just mean to say... go for the theory you like visually most. Anyone beating you on the head over it when playing you is a horrible person.