News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

TACTICA 2 Seleukids v Ptolemaics

Started by simonw, July 02, 2023, 02:24:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

simonw

Photo of the armies on the table for tomorrow evening's Tactica 2 Game between 2200pts of Ptolemaics and Seleukids. There is a Flank Boundary line of Woods along the far table edge and a Low Ridge in the Seleukid Central Sector. The actual army deployments will be different for the game at the discretion of the army commanders tomorrow.You cannot view this attachment.

Jim Webster

simonw

dwkay57

There doesn't seem to be much room for manoeuvre. Be interested to learn how and why the opposing generals come up with their tactics.
David

Mark G

Tactica, like most of Arty Conliffe's rules, start the game at the point where the battle is just about to begin, with lines drawn and manoeuvres complete.
He takes the view that most battles were by agreement and we're head on and face to face.

So the movement is within that limit, rather than the more sweeping dramatic stuff of some other sets.

There is a subtlety within that to look for, but you have to work at your plan to get it, as you generally have 4 moves before the lines engage.

And as movement is quite restricted- very limited turning and wheeling - generally for post melee breakthroughs, to newcomers it looks pretty head on.  Much as grid games do too, until you get into the game itself and start to see the possibilities.

It makes attempting movement based plans harder, but more rewarding when they come off, and when your opponent starts to try one, you've generally got to anticipate a reaction immediately or get caught by it with nothing you can do because you weren't watching the enemy properly. 

Imperial Dave

it does look impressive

re the mechanics, that would work for an awful lot of battles in my head anyway
Slingshot Editor

simonw

Thanks for your comments gents. The games are actually pretty dynamic (certainly in parts) with Infantry moving 8" and Cavalry 12" per Turn. In this game, the Ptolemies won because a big gap opened up on the right end of the Seleukid line when their Elephant screen was drawn off to the right in an attempt to stop from being outflanked AND the small Gallic Mercernary unit Pursued the 2 Ptolemaic elephants is defeated in combat. This gap was exploited by a unit of Cleruch Cavalry lancers who charge d through it and into the Rear of the Phalanx. This was effectively 'game over' but there was much stubborn fighting nonetheless.

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

simonw

Dave, Thanks. Have you seen my Episodes 1 to 5 of the Tactica 2 battle summary reports (.pdfs) I submitted for consideration  for inclusion in Slingshot yet? (versions 2)
Cheers
Simon

Mark G

Do I detect the flaw in the Seleucid plan from the photos?

Was Graham allowed a say in the Seleucid planning?

simonw

Mark, I couldn't possibly comment. Simon.  :)

Justin Swanton

Does Tactica 2 allow for grand tactical moves like cavalry or light troops deploying from one wing to the other? I'm minded of 2 Mantinea and Cannae.

simonw

Justin,

Not really. Most armies comprise 3 'Divisions' with a 'Command Radius' centred on a single 'Divisional Commander' figure. The default 'Command Radius' is 12" which can be increased by 4" for each Massed Unit in a Division above 5.

There are ways that you can do it for a scenario of course and theoretically it could be done taking a 'Division' of part of a 'Division' from one flank to the other but in most cases this would mean leaving the remainder (if any) units 'out of command' and therefore pretty defenceless (unable to move). Alexander the Great can do it with his Companions as there is a 'special rule' for him to act as an additional Division.

So whilst unlikely or 'difficult' therefore, it can be done in a limited fashion under certain circumstances. Not unhistorical really. It didn't happen often.

The use of a mobile 'Reserve' is less problematic and of course Roman Legions are more flexible. However, I would say that you would tend to have to have your opponent pretty much just sit there and watch it happen in a most passive manner. More likely would be a rapid advance to contact to take advantage of the confusion.

As Mark indicated, the Tactica 2 game tends to more reflect the situation where the battlelines are drawn up on an 'agreed' field of battle and not the situation where there is significant pre-battle manoeuvring going on.

Cheers

Simon

Mark G

I think technically the game starts one bow shot apart, and the field is going to be maybe half a dozen shots wide, so there reallly isn't space for a grand tactical option, that was pre game

Imperial Dave

also nice to see a hand made rear wheel on the wall...

Slingshot Editor