News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Conquerors and Kings WOTR v Scots

Started by martin, July 14, 2023, 06:34:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

martin

We happy chaps are still testing lots of options for CK.
The rules will be out in a month or so.
We are testing army types.
CK is pretty generic.

This week it was bow foot versus pike foot.
Each army had about 16 units.150 figures.
The armies were 15mm sized.
The game area is 6 zones wide and 5 zones deep.
This is a gridded game (an update of the 1998 version)

The WOTR army was attacking.
The flanks of the army had plenty of bows.
These two flanks advanced in order to bash the Scots wings.
Giving a Zulu type layout.
This was fairly effective but not quick enough.

The defending Scots launched a surprise surge.
The Scots poked a big hole in the held back WOTR centre.
(11 scores of 5,6 out of 14 D6.  Gosh!)

The WOTR army fought back but continued to move too slowly.

The battle win criteria are based on kills, quality and  ground held.Plus a few army compensations.

The Scots won the game by ground held as the kill D6 were fairly equal.

I will get some pictures attached to the next battle report in order to get some interest.

thanks

martin :)

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

simonw

I've got Conquerors and Kings 'square bashing' rules and although I haven't played them for years, they are still in my rules bookcase and|I remember them quite fondly as producing a good game with a big battle 'feel'.

Ian61

Sorry WOTR can I assume War of the Roses as opposed to a crusader 'Wrath of the Righteous'. Momentarily had a vision of a righteous crusade against those pesky Scotsmen. ;D
Ian Piper
Norton Fitzwarren, Somerset

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

martin

WOTR does seem to be commonly interpreted as War of the Ring. Sorry for that. Just a habit of being old.

martin :)

Imperial Dave

Its my immediate thought but thats me!  ;D
Slingshot Editor

Erpingham

I wouldn't worry too much, Martin.  While aware of the Tolkien connection, it wouldn't be the first to occur to me and I'm sure those who own Wars of the Roses armies would be the same.

Medieval Scots v English is a bit of a favourite of mine and I've got armies for both.  I find there is a difficulty in getting the longbow/spearman balance right.  Longbows too strong and it's like advancing into machine gun fire.  Longbows too weak and they don't make sufficient dent in the close-combat steamroller of the shiltrons.

Imperial Dave

A period I have long resisted due to other commitments but maybe one day.....
Slingshot Editor

Mark G

I consider it to be the entry level English speaking civil war, in that it has a bibliography a tenth the size of the main English speaking civil wars.

Some periods have bibliography's that can cripple a bookshelf.  SWW, Napoleonic and the 2 big English speaking civil wars are the worst I think, and you can usually only cope with 2 in a lifetime if you want to keep up with the reading

Imperial Dave

My bookshelves cant cope as it is...
Slingshot Editor

Ian61

Quote from: Imperial Dave on July 15, 2023, 10:36:10 AMA period I have long resisted due to other commitments but maybe one day.....

A period I have long resisted due to it being too flipping complicated. I read Trevor Royale's book 'The War of the Roses - England's First Civil War' last year and it sort of made sense at the time even if an insane sort of sense but it really doesn't want to sit in my brain at all, I keep getting my battles of St Albans mixed up. The models look cool though! 8)
Ian Piper

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Erpingham

Quote'The War of the Roses - England's First Civil War'

Only if you ignore the several that preceded it.

Ian61

Quote from: Erpingham on July 16, 2023, 10:30:58 AM
Quote'The War of the Roses - England's First Civil War'

Only if you ignore the several that proceeded it.

You are not the first to point that out to me. I had several comments at home when they saw the cover. All the family have read most of the Brother Cadfael novels, set of course during the war between Stephen and Matilda.
Ian Piper