News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

TACTICA 2 BARONS WARS

Started by simonw, November 10, 2023, 03:04:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon Freitag

Quote from: Imperial Dave on November 25, 2023, 05:26:27 PMA lovely shot of his nibs
His nibs?  Rare is the day when I am not heading to the Oxford Dictionary to clarify an idiom. Perhaps I should get out more?

Erpingham

Quote from: Jon Freitag on November 25, 2023, 05:57:15 PM
Quote from: Imperial Dave on November 25, 2023, 05:26:27 PMA lovely shot of his nibs
His nibs?  Rare is the day when I am not heading to the Oxford Dictionary to clarify an idiom. Perhaps I should get out more?

Not a common phrase with modern generations - more my dad's era - so not surprising you've not come across it.

simonw

I understood 'his nibs' meaning OK.

Erpingham

Quote from: simonw on November 25, 2023, 06:18:10 PMI understood 'his nibs' meaning OK.

But you don't come from the western USA  :) Unlike some of the recent explanations, which were from popular culture, this one does appear to be a regional vocubulary difference.

simonw

Anthony,

Having been raised in Salford in the northwest of England, I admit to retaining some of the local dialect (e.g. 'bobbydazzler'; something to which one should aspire to become). Then, I have lived for over 40 years in and around Glasgow in Scotland so I have a bit of a language 'stramash' at times such that my English relatives 'cannae ken' what I'm talking about at times.. Then again, I also lived in Australia for over 7 years and even to this day can recall bits of 'Aussie English', like 'wowser'. You don't want to be one of those!

Better sign off now before 'the missus' goes all 'lemony' on me.

Cheers
Simon

)P,S. I had a holiday in San Diego a couple of years back to watch the tennis at Indian Wells and managed to visit the Joshua Tree National Park. Amazing country! I like deserts.

Interesting 'Terrain' for gaming!

simonw

Last Monday night's game was 'bash' no. 2 between King henry III and the Rebel Barons. King Henry fell off his horse and the Templars who were supposed to be protecting him felt vet+ry guilty about it and performed appallingly.

Overall though, neither side carried the day and both retired from the field badly mauled but unbowed to fight again next week (with a few reinforcements).

Jon Freitag

Wonderful looking armies, Simon.  What is the use of the wooden sticks behind some units?  Are they utilized in pushing formations across the table?

simonw

John,
Thanks. The sticks are 2",4",6",8" and 12" and are used for pushing the units across the table as you say, keeping straight lines for flank and rear projections and finally, for measuring distances. We also use 8" graduated sticks (for less than standard movement distances) and a couple of 9" sticks for javelin ranges. I place 4 sets of sticks on the table and they are well used but unfortunately, table discipline tends to fail when action reaches greater heights and they all get mixed up. nevertheless, the accuracy of the distance measurements is better than for a tape measure so that 2" wheels for infantry and 4" wheels for cavalry are very precisely measured which combined with the use of a laser, makes any potential disagreements about flank and rear attack eligibility most unlikely; albeit in the old days, when there was a potential disagreement, we just 'rolled for it' (house rules).

As an example, in TACTICA 2 rules there is an 8" Control Threat Zone in front a Massed Unit which precludes any actions other than a Charge Straight Ahead or a Halt. There is no wheeling or shorter movement choice available 9with specific caveats). If the 8" stick doesn't fit between two opposing units, then the CTZ restrictions apply; no doubt about it.

Cheers
Simon
P.S. They are also good 'prodders' although I haven't had to wake anybody up during a game yet!  :)

Imperial Dave

Really nice Simon. Good battle and report
Slingshot Editor

simonw

Dave,

Thanks.

Hopefully, if everybody is fit and well I should be able to write next weeks game as 'Episode 10'; the last report in the series for Slingshot. This week due to a significant absence through illness, I was too busy playing to be be systematic in my noters gathering to write up officially.

The Barons War game will replace the Normans v Saxons game originally planned because it appeared in the end that nobody had a sufficient number of figures.
Cheers
Simon

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Martin Smith

Quote from: simonw on November 29, 2023, 02:22:43 PMThe sticks are 2",4",6",8" and 12" and are used for pushing the units across the table as you say, keeping straight lines for flank and rear projections and finally, for measuring distances .....
>
Cheers
Simon

Simon, are these 'home made', or a commercially available item (if so, where from, please?)
Martin
u444

simonw

Martin,

They are commercially available. I think I got mine from Warbases but it was a couple of years back at the Falkirk wargames show so I'm not 100 percent certain. That is my recollection though.

Looking around the internet, there seem to be a few manufacturers of similar laser cut MDF measuring sticks although I couldn't see the exact same ones.

Sorry I can't be more precise.
Simon

Ian61

Been a bit distracted last week or so and missed the pic of Henry and the bishop (I have just liked it). My history isn't good enough to know if this is a well known bishop but lovely models.
Ian Piper
Norton Fitzwarren, Somerset

simonw

Ian,

Thanks. I think that the Bishop is a Talisman game figure. In the context of the barons war and King Henry III, I'm afraid that he is only a 'generic' cleric. He could be Richard le Grant (NOT to be confused with Richard E Grant; although that would be most amusing).

Simon
P.S. King Henry is Curteys Miniatures.