News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Late Roman eastern field armies book

Started by nikgaukroger, September 30, 2023, 07:38:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nikgaukroger

One for the real late Roman army aficionados.

There is a new book out about the organisation of the eastern field armies by Anthony Kaldellis and Marion Kruse - "The Field Armies of the East Roman Empire, 361–630". Expensive as it is a short book (it has previously been mentioned elsewhere on this forum).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Field-Armies-Roman-Empire-361-630/dp/1009296949

Not got it yet myself but feel myself weakening.

They have also done a podcast in which they chat about writing it and the basis behind it which is rather interesting IMO. They also discuss revisionism in general.

https://www.cambridge.org/core/books/field-armies-of-the-east-roman-empire-361630/0B4DBB95C31B874F4891BB8B111DD80F#

Certainly reminded me why basing any theory on late Roman armies on the Notitia Dignitatum is a pretty risky proposition  :o
"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

Mark G

Not an impulse purchase price though, unfortunately

Richard Lockwood

I fear I will have to buy this book. But may wait to see if the price falls.

nikgaukroger

"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

nikgaukroger

The book makes a good case that the field army structure for the eastern armies in the Notitia is probably better dated to the mid-C5th rather than the (now) traditional late C4th. It certainly fits the challenges facing the eastern empire better for the later date IMO.

nikgaukroger

I'm looking forward to seeing reviews by historians of the period to see how it is received and what issues with it are identified.

There is a review here already which was written very shortly after publication and is not really a critique but does make some useful points - https://deremilitari.org/2023/10/anthony-kaldellis-and-marion-kruse-the-field-armies-of-the-east-roman-empire-361-630-reviewer-evan-schultheis/

CarlL

Thank you Nik, for the link to the book review. It sounds as if the CUP editorial team failed to challenge this books weaknesses but that the book throws down a gauntlet to re-evaluate the history of the Eastern Roman forces in the 5th and 6th centuries (AD or is that now CE).
CarlL

Imperial Dave

How does that influence thinking on the western dating or doesn't it?
Slingshot Editor

nikgaukroger

It doesn't, or at least the book does not cover it. Making no reference to the western portion could itself be a weakness of the book IMO and I was a bit surprised that the review I posted did not mention it.

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor