News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Wrexham Roman villa uncovered by metal detectorists

Started by Imperial Dave, November 12, 2020, 09:58:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

DBS

Thanks as ever.  I find it odd that the archaeologists seem surprised to find a villa - the stuff about either military dependency or rustic Celtic huts does not really sit with an area that, after all, boasted the town of Wroxeter not that far away.  Viroconium presumably had a curia, and the leading citizens who sat on it would also quite likely have had estates; if they were not rich, they would not be on the curia, and land equals money.  Perhaps the archaeologists have fallen for the classic mistake of absence of evidence equalling evidence of absence?
David Stevens

Jim Webster

Quote from: DBS on November 13, 2020, 12:06:56 PM
Perhaps the archaeologists have fallen for the classic mistake of absence of evidence equalling evidence of absence?

That does seem to have been an issue which dogged British archaeology for some time. The north was a 'military zone' with limited civil settlement until they started finding civilian settlements (from memory because of rescue archaeology down when they upgraded the M1 and A1M

Imperial Dave

quite reasonable in my eyes to find a villa in the area and its not THAT far North...
Slingshot Editor

Jim Webster

Quote from: Holly on November 14, 2020, 12:08:04 AM
quite reasonable in my eyes to find a villa in the area and its not THAT far North...

We're back into 'relative geography' again. For some Watford is the edge of the outer darkness 

Whilst others maintain that there are no signs of civilised life south of the Trent  ;)

Imperial Dave

true lol

we should look more at regionality not just Norf/Sarf divides especially in the EMA
Slingshot Editor

Erpingham

Relative geography is wonderfully entertaining, and confusing.  For example, is the saying that civilisation ends at Watford or Watford Gap?  For those of us originating between the two, this was a vital question :) 

One anecdote of many - a student conversation. 
Mike (from Southampton) : I'd only been to the North once before I came to Bradford
Another : Oh, where did you go?
Mike : Oxford

DBS

Quote from: Holly on November 14, 2020, 09:47:43 AM
we should look more at regionality not just Norf/Sarf divides especially in the EMA
Have you ever read William Kapelle's Norman Conquest of the North?  Particularly interesting is the complete lack of interest the Normans initially had for the north-west; something like three decades before you start seeing any real presence.  He notes that the Normans who did eventually take land in Cumbria came from the least advantageous area of Normandy, and suggests it may be that only they were prepared to do without good quality wheat bread.
David Stevens

Imperial Dave

Hi David, no I havent read that one. I'll look it up thanks.
Slingshot Editor

Jim Webster

Quote from: DBS on November 14, 2020, 10:38:01 AM
Have you ever read William Kapelle's Norman Conquest of the North?  Particularly interesting is the complete lack of interest the Normans initially had for the north-west; something like three decades before you start seeing any real presence.  He notes that the Normans who did eventually take land in Cumbria came from the least advantageous area of Normandy, and suggests it may be that only they were prepared to do without good quality wheat bread.

Our local 'Norman' was 'Michael de Fleming' which tells you all you need to know about him. He built a mott and bailey castle nicely placed on the coast near Aldingham so the flames as it burned down would warn the Normans on the Lancashire coast that something was up.
His family then went on to build Gleaston Castle, a castle so jerry built that it was falling down even before it was completed.

Imperial Dave

Quote from: Jim Webster on November 14, 2020, 10:51:57 AM

Our local 'Norman' was 'Michael de Fleming' which tells you all you need to know about him. He built a mott and bailey castle nicely placed on the coast near Aldingham so the flames as it burned down would warn the Normans on the Lancashire coast that something was up.
His family then went on to build Gleaston Castle, a castle so jerry built that it was falling down even before it was completed.

nice representation shot Jim
Slingshot Editor

Erpingham

Quote from: Holly on November 14, 2020, 10:46:08 AM
Hi David, no I havent read that one. I'll look it up thanks.

It's a good corrective for the idea that 1066 was the be all and end all of the Norman conquest.  Down the years, its been the inspiration for many encounters between my Viking and Norman armies in an alternative 1069.

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Jim Webster

Quote from: Holly on November 14, 2020, 10:54:11 AM
Quote from: Jim Webster on November 14, 2020, 10:51:57 AM

nice representation shot Jim

Just a little something I found on google images  8)